99 explorer trouble starting, loss of power and dying. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 explorer trouble starting, loss of power and dying.

Tward_bs

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 explorer sport
Hey guys, so I have had this problem going on for a while now. At first it would lose power suddenly going up a mountain to get to work. I would have to switch it to nuetrel get the rpms up then switch it back to drive and it was fine. But now it is gotten worse. Starting it up it turn on but struggles and then dies out. I have to get the rpms to reach 3k and back to idle before I can put it gear and drive. Getting it to 3k is hard, I have to play with the gas pedal to find the sweet spot. Too much gas it dies, too little it dies. Now the problem is occurring all the time.

I have checked the pcv valve it shakes so that's fine. Checked the MAF and it was clean and got volts when tested. Looked for vacuum leaked with propane to see it it revs more. Nothing. Replaced fuel filter about 4 months ago. Will check it again.
Currently reading the codes of
P0136
P1131
P1151.

I heard its usually not o2 sensor but something else so I haven't replaced them. Don't think they would cause the power loss and it dieing out.

Please help me out guys!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

SOHC or OHV V6?

Which engine is in your Sport?

P0136 02 Sensor Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 2)
P1131 Lack of Upstream Heated Oxygen Sensor Switch - Sensor Indicates Lean - Bank No. 1
P1151 Lack of Upstream Heated Oxygen Sensor Switch - Sensor Indicates Lean - Bank No. 2

I suggest measuring your fuel pressure.

It's a 4.0 Efi? I'm going to try and post a video

My 1999 Explorer have the same problem as yours [MENTION=290835]Tward_bs[/MENTION]. I hope someone can help us solve this problem.

I tried flushing my cooling system, cleaned MAF and IAC, replaced spark plugs, replaced fuel filter, replaced ignition coil pack but nothing happens. I hope someone can help us with this issue.

Back