• Register Today It's free!

99 Ford Explorer Engine Stalling

kevinisin

Reaction score
City, State
Mobile, Alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer 4.0
I have a 1999 Ford Explorer with the V6 4.0 Engine, my problem is while driving various speeds 0-60, the engine just stops, this has happened at least 10 times. I pull over and most of the time it starts right back up every once in awhile I have to sit there for a few minutes. I get home and it runs fine, I changed the fuel filter and Idle Air Control valve. Does anyone have any advice or maybe has had this problem and knows a solution.

Thanks
Kevin

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Po 320

Yes and I'm getting a PO 320 Code - Engine\Dist. malfuntion, I don't get it everytime it dies however.

Is it an OHV or SOHC??? Sounds like a crank or cam sensor problem... For the odd times that the engine does not restart right away, observe the "Check Engine" light, if it is illuminated while the engine is cranking, that means that the PCM is not recieving a crank signal.

Engine stalling

It is an OHV. Thanks for the tip about the CEL when starting, I did not know that, I will check the next time it happens.

Thanks again and any other information will be greatly appreciated.

Kevin

It only works on OBDII systems...

Back