'99 ohv 4.0 cam build | Page 16 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'99 ohv 4.0 cam build

Im new to the forum, wondering if anyone has any suggestions or advice. Goal is to cam it, head milling,porting and polishing, and a single 2.5inch exhaust with a good 87 octane tune. Motor has 153k on it. All stock car. Parts list so far:

Sealed Power ZH2244 roller lifters, $40 a piece
Comp 49-422-8 camshaft, $300

As you can tell I need some advice on rods, valve springs, rocker arms, and gaskets, or anything else

thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check where your oil filter housing assembly bolts to your block. I had a leak from there. Couldn't tell till the motor was out. It's worth having a close look, you never know.

And if you pull your intake make sure to go crazy with rtv;)

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Wow that is weird you say that. My dad was looking at it and he thought we should check that out for leaks. I never messed with it at all, but with all the twisting and wrenching to get the exhaust loose the first time we may have loosened it. It does look wet there so we were curious about that. I will make that a priority to check now, thanks.

Just got the rear main seal out and going to get a new one now. I'll try and pick up an oil filter housing seal while I'm at it. The housing is tight but everything is wet with oil so it's hard to tell. Valve covers appear to be a little wet too. Guess ill just replace one seal at a time until I get it right.

Just got the rear main seal out and going to get a new one now. I'll try and pick up an oil filter housing seal while I'm at it. The housing is tight but everything is wet with oil so it's hard to tell. Valve covers appear to be a little wet too. Guess ill just replace one seal at a time until I get it right.

You didnt happen to use cork gaskets on your valve covers did you?I would almost guarantee they are leaking if you did

Yes I did but then replaced them a week later with the better felpro permadry plus ones due to leaks. But advance will have in the "oil filter adapter gasket" tomorrow morning. I'm going to replace it while the y-pipe is out if the way. Should be easy enough.

Yes I did but then replaced them a week later with the better felpro permadry plus ones due to leaks. But advance will have in the "oil filter adapter gasket" tomorrow morning. I'm going to replace it while the y-pipe is out if the way. Should be easy enough.

Right on.sometimes leaks are the biggest pita to find and stop.sounds like your going to get it tho.:thumbsup:

Trans is back in. Will get the oil filter adapter o-ring tomorrow morning. The adapter was really on there and the o-ring gasket was smashed flat so there is a good chance that was a source of leakage. We were looking around for other problem spots and found that the oil pressure sensor is possibly leaking some. It's just a cheap plastic thing, I probably bumped it working on the crank and timing cover awhile ago. So when I pick up the new o-ring ill ask about a new sensor.

well the rotten thing is still leaking but not as much. The oil pressure sensor does not seam to be an issue. So it has to be something on top of the motor. I think the valve covers are leaking again. I read over the instructions on the Fel-pro's I used and they state NO rtv which I definitely used. If you do they may not seal properly. Also the valve cover bolt holes could be slightly misshaped from tightening them down over 3 installations. I think Ill try tightening the bolts and pray the leaking stops. These wont crush like the corks.

I had a ton of issues with my valve covers.
The issue is getting at the back bolts that are on the aluminum intake I think. Very easy to cross thread.

I'm pretty sure I didn't cross thread anything. I was able to tighten all the valve cover bolts with extensions and universals except for a couple. I got all the ones I thought were leaking. It's not leaking as bad as it was. I need to get under there on a nice day and wipe everything clean then get it hot and look for more sources.

Some good news is that I scored a SCT tuner. I talked to some people at Henson but their prices are just to high. No offense to them, school books just really hit me hard this semester. So I am running a strategy tune right now. Tuned for rear 02 delete, 3.73 gears, added 4 deg of timing, more fuel at wot, and a couple other things. It definitely pulls hills much better. I don't have any pinging but I was wondering if anyone knew how much timing advance they are running on stock compression and 87. Any advice?

Think stock is 20* out.or maybe more.your lossing some "compression" with that cam so shoukd be able to go pretty aggressive. I would be running 90+ with your mods if you wanna get aggressive and get real power.belive it of not a leaner tune will produce more power NA than a rich tune but more prone to detonate. 90+ gas will help that.I would get two tunes, basic mpg tune and a 90+ advance timing and leaner.flip the switch and change gas & hall ass!!:D:thumbsup::burnout:

The tuner lets me do up to 4deg adv 1-2k rpm, 4deg adv 2-4k rpm, and 2deg adv 4-8k rpm. That's what I have it at now. I added fuel at wot because of my air mods. I'll try some runs with a leaner mix and see how it goes. Im not sure if it misses at high rpm because of the rev limiter or because its starving of fuel. I raised the rev limiter so ill try it out next time i get the opportunity. So you really think the 90plus gas will help?

the 90+ will help if you push beyond the limits of the 87 gas.
See if you can get a bit of detonation and back off a hair, then go for the better gas.
Not the best advice, but then you know for sure that you have pushed beyond the limits of Regular gas.

I adjusted the air fuel a tad on my drive home from school. I've got the timing settings maxxed out and no detonation with 87 gas. I'd add more timing but 4 deg is all the tuner will let me have. It's really running good though.

Well I replaced the valve cover gaskets the other night and wouldnt ya know it the damn thing is still leaking. Its not bad but a leak is a leak. Between the sliced fingers and oily mess Im starting to give my Explorer some dirty looks. Its leaking from the back of the motor somewhere and running down the trans.
Ive got wayyy too much time and blood in my quest for a source to give up. Im thinking maybe the lower intake bolts. I dont what else there is to check. Anyone have any thoughts?

Pft....nope. Lower intake, valve cover gaskets, oil filter....where's the oil pressure sending unit again?

Oh man, I'm feeling for you.

Oil pressure sending unit is just right of the crank. I'll pick one up on my way home. They are a little more than $11. Hopefully I'll get to start on it around 4 and be done by dinner. That egr gives me fits everytime lol. I think this time I'll plug it off with a plate and see how it runs without it functioning. My tuner allows me turn it off.

Well it's actually closer to the power steering pump. Doesn't appear to be leaking.

Could the leak be coming from the oil filter
adaper O-rings?

I think I have the same problem...

Back