1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

99 sohc 4.0 to 96 5.0 swap questions

Discussion in 'Modified 1995-2001 Explorers' started by xNGxCRASH, April 29, 2017.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. xNGxCRASH

xNGxCRASH New Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
    96 xl, 99 eddie
    ok first off sorry for not being more active I haven't really needed any help since I 5 speed swapped my 96 in 2011.. so technically I'm not a new member just been 6 years since I logged on lol

I now have a 99 eddie 4x4 4.0 that I have successfully 5 speed swapped and recently got ahold of a 5.0 96 doner.

now here's the question what will it take to get the 5.0 in the truck and retain everything including cruise control hvac etc. I have a full doner and am aware I will need to locate a f150 m5od.

oh and side note but not really important during the 5.0 swap it's also going solid axles (dana 44 and f150 8.8)

I've read a few threads but haven't seen any that were 96 5.0 into a sohc chassis. I'm not afraid of wireing I just don't know if it's plug and play if not I will just retain the 4.0 I just want to not struggle to tow my 2000 lbs boat any more.. sorry for rambling and thanks in advance

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. vroomzoomboom

vroomzoomboom Elite Canuck STOCK SUCKS! Elite Explorer

City, State:
    selkirk, manitoba
    98 supercharged 347 sport
    wiring.....lots of wiring repining. and fuel system. 99 is a returnless, 96 is a return.

4. xNGxCRASH

xNGxCRASH New Member

96 xl, 99 eddie
    hmmmmm I'm thinking the extra what 35 lbs of torque isn't worth it

5. 1997XLTRollover

1997XLTRollover Well-Known Member

1996 AWD 5.0
    Why not just find a clean 5.0 truck and buy that? They're cheap enough these days.

6. damarble

damarble Active Member

City, State:
    Washington
    01 Sport Trac 5.0L manual
    It's very worth it. The power comes on earlier too. I just finished a 97 5.0 into a 01 with a 5 speed swap, almost the exact same thing. There was a lot of wire repinning but it wasn't hard. I converted to the return style fuel lines.