Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

99 sport 4x4 5.0 engine swap

Discussion in 'Modified 1995-2001 Explorers' started by irbydon32, September 17, 2017.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. irbydon32

irbydon32 New Member

City, State:
    liberty tx
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    99 explorer sport 4x4
    hey everyone i have a 99 sport 4x4 with the 4.0 ohv and i want to put the 5.0 into it is does anyone know what all would be involed in doing this. it is a auto and i want to make this thing a real badass 4x4 with the 5.0 in it instead of the 4.0 ohv that is in it. i would really like to know if it is even worth doing

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. vroomzoomboom

vroomzoomboom Elite Canuck STOCK SUCKS! Elite Explorer

City, State:
    selkirk, manitoba
    98 supercharged 347 sport
    click the links in my signature.

4. SoHK_alumni

SoHK_alumni Active Member

City, State:
    Tampa, FL
    5.0 V8 2002 Ranger
    Would all depend on how deep into badass you want to go and what that means to you.

My only regret in my own 5.0 swap was in doing it much earlier. But, my effort was for a daily driver/work truck not a high perf build. So my total swap was well under $1000 and only off the road for a week.

A higher cost, higher performance off road build could cost a lot more, costs only you can judge as worth it or not.

5. vroomzoomboom

vroomzoomboom Elite Canuck STOCK SUCKS! Elite Explorer

City, State:
    selkirk, manitoba
    98 supercharged 347 sport
    no joke either. if i didnt buy headers for mine, it would have been almost free after selling of parts from the donor, then scrapping it. as well as the performance thing. yea. that adds up fast. then the tuning part starts. like the old saying goes, speed is a matter of cost. how fast do you want to go.
    if your just doing a simple swap just because you want a v8 and your old motor/trains is dying, sure i would say go for it. but if your doing it to hotrod it up, you might want to read through my thread or another member named "dono"'s thread and you will see how much frustration you might be looking at.
    not trying to sway you away, but just a fore warning

6. irbydon32

irbydon32 New Member

City, State:
    liberty tx
    99 explorer sport 4x4
    the main reason for the swap besides the badass part is for the extra power i will need for when i do the lift im going to do on it cause i was one of the people in texas that got flooded in due to harvey and i never want that to be the dam case