Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

99 sport drives poorly

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by anco989, July 8, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. anco989

anco989 New Member

City, State:
      Crown Point, IN
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '99 Sport
      lately ive been having problems with my explorer it seems to swerve a little on its own and handles kind of like one of the wheels is shaking. it also handles even worse in the wind like any kind of wind i jacked it up and the passenger side front has some play in the wheel. i had just put a new bearing in on that side and sway bar links on both sides. the driver side seems to be fine though. im really getting worried about this because its scary driving this thing at highway speeds or sometimes even out of town
      another problem is my clutch operates ok but after awhile of driving it develops some play and seems less responsive...its a 2wd 5pd with 150,000
      miles

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Stang65fst

Stang65fst New Member

2001 explorer
      Have you checked the ball joints?

4. anco989

anco989 New Member

City, State:
      Crown Point, IN
      '99 Sport
      whats the best way to check em or see if theyre bad

5. Stang65fst

Stang65fst New Member

2001 explorer
    6. ranger7ltr

ranger7ltr Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Great State of Texas
      1999 Sport
      I had a similar situation...

When I bought my 99 Sport with 151k on it... I knew the brakes were worn out and since I was changing the rotors I decided to replace the lower ball joint, upper control arm, inner and outer tie rod ends, sway bar bushings and end links, front inner and outer wheel bearings and all 4 shocks...

With the time on the truck I didn't know how long any or all of these components had been in service so they all went bye bye...40k later I don't have any suspension issues since the joints I replaced all have zerk fittings and I routinely lube them...

And on the clutch situation you may be looking at a replacement of the clutch master/slave cylinder due to age and wear...I would attempt to bleed the system first and go from there...

7. JCat

JCat Active Member

City, State:
      Atlanta
      98 Mountaineer
      Bent or out of balance wheels are a possibility too.

I had 2 that were bent. Rotating them didn't help. Only when I found an "expert" tire shop did I discover the true problem. (I replaced nearly every possible suspension and driveline part first)