Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

A/C causing rough idle & elec. problems

Discussion in 'Under the Hood' started by ryster, July 22, 2001.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1. ryster

ryster New Member

City, State:
    Southeastern, PA
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2011 Hyundai Sonata GLS
    Hi!

My parents are having an odd problem with their '00 Mountaineer (4WD, 4.0LSOHC, 15K miles). Thought maybe someone could offer some ideas.

Occasionally while driving with the A/C (auto A/C) on, the truck's timing will start to flutter. It feels like you are driving on a rough road. As you come to a stop, the idle will drop to around 500 and the truck will feel like it wants to die. After about 15 or so seconds of stopping, the idle will even out slightly but still be about 600-650 or so. All of this only happens when the A/C is on and the engine is at full operating temperature. The dealer could not reproduce the problem, but replaced the MAF sensor under warranty. It didn't solve the problem.

Similarly, we noticed that the automatic headlights did not come on when we pulled into the garage today (my Mom had me drive the truck yesterday to see if I could reproduce the idle problem). Normally the headlights will kick on when entering the garage. So, in an attempt to troubleshoot the lights I was going to shut the truck down and restart it. While the truck was still running, I started shutting off all of the accessories. As soon as I turned the A/C off, the auto headlights came on. Very odd...

Do you think it is possible the A/C is causing some sort of problem with the electrical system? It is obviously interfering with the auto headlights, but I am also thinking it is affecting the engine timing/idle problems as well. It is just interesting the problems don't surface when the A/C isn't being used.

Thanks for your help!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. mrboyle

mrboyle I Drive By Brail Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
    Montrose, CO
    '95 Bronco '80 Toy
    It sounds to me like a good possibility that there is some kind of electrical problem related to the A/C control system. If the turck is still under warranty I would take it back to the dealer and show the service writer exactly what you found. If they still claim that they can't locate the problem try another dealership. I haven't done much work on the newer X's and Mounts, yet (most are still under warranty) so I can't realy help much.

4. 01EB5.0

01EB5.0 Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Allendale, MI
    2001 Eddie Bauer V-8 AWD
    Ity soulds to me to be unrelated. The headlights take a few mins to come on. they don't come on instantly because then if you drive thru a shady area or a bridge or the like, everyone's headlights would go on and off and stuff. I think your problem is strictly the A/C not cycling as it should. The compressor should go on and off so as to not make the engine die. Mine does anyway...open the hood and let it idle. watch the A/C compressor to see if it cycles. If thats not the problerm just bring it in under warentere.

5. TPLYNCH

TPLYNCH Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Brewster, NY
    1999 XLS
    You may have a problem with the Idle Air Control valve. That is what is supposed to kick up RPM's when the A/C causes a drag on the engine. Sounds to me like it is not doing it. Search for IAC.... There are many threads regarding this item.