Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

A/C changing from front panel to defrost

Discussion in '2001-2005 Explorer Sport Trac' started by sammy2966, July 17, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^
  1. sammy2966

sammy2966 New Member

City, State:
    Gurabo, PR
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2001 Sport trac
    The a/c air is changing from the front panel to the defrost and then it changes to front panel when it pleases, the control button is not changing to different areas (ex. bottom, defrost, front panel, a/c or max a/c) when i change the temperature from cold to hot, sometime it stays hot even when I change it back to cold. Could someone help me with this issue?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Clusterpup

Clusterpup Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Miami, FL
    02 Sport Trac 4x4
    Sounds like you have a vacuum leak. Does it change to defrost when you press the gas?

4. -junior

City, State:
    south jersey
    05 Explorer SportTrac XLT
    i have the same issue on my 05 xlt sammy. when on "max ac" the vents will blow through all fronts for a minute, then switch to just defrost. not sure what causes it, i just leave mine set to "ac"

5. -junior

City, State:
    south jersey
    05 Explorer SportTrac XLT
    After doing a little research came up with a couple threads that might help some people.

Looks like this is a common problem on the vacuum controlled AC in Fords

Here is an F150 post about the same issue, and a good post from Clusterpup with a pic. I'm going to check out my hoses today, does anyone have a good pic of the AC line, or a description of common failure points similar to those f150's for the sport trac....UPDATE, after a little more research my problem is fixed. Check out this link to the 2nd gen forums. There is a canister under the glove box with a white vacuum line connected off a t-fitting. Looks like someone kicked mine off. Just had to plug it back in and now the "max ac" stays on panel vents instead of switching to defrost.

http://www.f150forum.com/f10/ac-max-selction-intermittantly-changes-defrost-51243/

Great pic from Clusterpup:
    http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=316750&highlight=ac

2nd Gen forum post:
    http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192842

6. Lil Blue

Lil Blue New Member

City, State:
    Burke, VA
    2004 Sport Trac XLT
    Loss of vent function

Thanks for the 2nd gen link from 2007. Ir identifies my problem with the vents. Will let yall know if it work for me.
    Thanks

We Support Our Troops!