Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

A/C Clutch Bearing Replacement

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by koda2000, December 20, 2012.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. koda2000

koda2000 Explorer Addict

Year, Model & Trim Level:
    x
    I've noticed that I sometimes hear a noise that seems to be emanating from the A/C clutch pulley on my 2000 Mountaineer 5.0. When I first got the truck I replaced the serpentine belt, as the old belt was worn and glazed (I think it was the original belt w/180K on it). Replacing the belt with a good quality one got rid of a lot of the under-hood noise, but I've noticed that sometimes the A/C clutch will have a little squeak. It actually only does it when the A/C is OFF. I'm thinking it's probably the clutch bearing. BTW, the A/C works great.

Has anyone changed one of this bearings? I see RockAuto lists one for about $20. I'd like to know what's involved with doing this job. I assume I'll need some kind of special tool to hold/remove the clutch and pulley. Can I borrow the tool I'll need from the auto parts store, or is it too specialized?. Can I replace the bearing w/out removing the compressor from the truck? I have access to a press, as I assume this will be needed. -Thanks

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. imp

imp Well-Known Member

59 Ranchero F250 D'Line
    A/C Clutch Removal

The front of the compressor reveals the clutch plate, which turns the compressor itself. You can turn this plate with your fingers, and feel the drag of the compressor internals. The magnetic clutch lies behind the front plate, and contains the bearing you suspect of being noisy. You can rotate the clutch and pulley assembly with your fingers after removing the drive belt. That might reveal a feeling of harshness in the bearing, but doubtful you can spin it fast enough to squeal.

Removal of the clutch plate involves holding the plate stationary to loosen the center nut, which clamps the plate to the compressor shaft. The 3 upraised "bumps" visible are used to hold the plate from rotating, by placing a tool having 3 holes, larger than these bumps, which fit over them, a round center hole to access the nut, and a square hole to introduce a ratchet wrench or breaker bar. Such a tool could be made of 1/4 inch thick plate, aluminum would work nicely. The Ford Special Tool part number is T94P-19703-AH

The A/C clutch pulley is removed next, using a bearing puller having sufficiently wide jaws to encompass the O.D. Use only hand wrenching, no impact tools! The Ford Special Tool part number for a puller whch fits is D80L-1002-L

Ford Shop Manual does not detail further disassembly, as in seal replacement. Evidently, the bearing is pressed or fitted into the pulley, and may not be separately serviced, similar to those bearings found in idler pulleys.

Hope this info helps you! imp

4. Texan01

Texan01 Active Member

City, State:
    Dallas, TX
    1995 Explorer XLT
    I've replaced mine a few times, the hardest part is getting the bolt off. Once thats off, a thin screwdriver to work the plate back and forth a bit to get the clutch face off.

a big snap-ring holds the pulley bearing on, and its almost a press-fit, you can work it off without a puller if you have some patience. I used a prybar at the junkyard to get one off, on mine it nearly fell off on its own.

5. koda2000

koda2000 Explorer Addict

x
    well, never yet met a bolt i couldn't get off. thanks guys.