• Register Today It's free!

a/c clutch wont engage

zecolleman

Reaction score
City, State
Skagströnd ICELAND
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 limited
I have ford explorer 2004 and I am going on vacation here the summer heat in Iceland and i notice a/c did not work so I went to the local garage here and thei notice that the ac clutch did not engage. Any thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Find the low pressure cut-off switch, it is usually in the low pressure line from the evaporator to the compressor, disconnect it electrically and use a paperclip to jump the terminals in the connector. See if the compressor engages. Don't leave the jumper in for more than a few seconds to verify if the compressor came on. IF this works than the system is probably low on freon. If this does not work then check all the fuses to see if one blew.

ok did that I think.. Went to local garage and thei plug it to compter an did get one error "solar sensor open circuit" Thei did not know if it was related to this proplem..

Dose anyone know if that could be related????

not sure. doe you have the auto climate control or manual?

I have auto climate control. I took the wire that is on the clutch and it has no power ther when I puch the ac button. I connect the clutch straight to the battery and then it engage so it must be ok.

The solar sensor works with your automatic climate control by sensing the amount of sunlight coming into the cabin, "solar load", and adjusts the settings accordingly. It will turn the system on or off, cooler or warmer, etc. based on this, because even if the interior temp is 70 degrees F, it will feel hotter with direct sunlight hitting you. Replace the sensor (should be on the dash somewhere IIRC) and your climate control should work.

Back