• Register Today It's free!

A/C Clutch?

boostusmaximus

Reaction score
City, State
hutchinson, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 4X4 E/B
I just tried to get my a/c system going after not using it for 2 years. I filled it with R134 and the compressor would not cycle. I replaced the pressure switch and put more refridgerant in until the clutch started to cycle. When it started to stay on for more than a few seconds it grabbed and now will not let go, even when I turn the controls to off and turn the car off and restart it. When watching the clutch I noticed the center bolt was turning at about 1/8th the speed of the clutch. After stopping the engine and restarting the engine, now the clutch is still engaged and the bolt has completly stopped spinning at all.

Is this a bad clutch or compressor or am I missing something alltogether?

Thanks,

Dan

Check to see if the clutch is getting constant power. It is sounding like possibly a bad clutch or a bad low pressure switch....if you have constant power you have a bad switch. If it is locking up w/o powering up then you have a bad clutch... easiest yet, just unplug the connector and see what happens.

Thanks for the speedy response,

I pulled the connector to the low pressure switch and the clutch remained engaged. so bad clutch?

I keep thinking the compressor is bad too because the clucth engagement plate is splined to the compressor shaft and then a bolt runs down the center of the shaft to hold it there. The bolt head (and I assume the compressor shaft that it's threaded into) is not spinning. But the clutch engagement plate (that is splined to the compressor shaft) is spinning. Are the slines stripped? Is the comressor frozen?

I dunno,

Try unplugging at the clutch and see what happens. If it stays engaged you CLEARLY have isolated a bad clutch.

It is easier to just replace the clutch and compressor as an assembly (about $250) and have a shop evacate and recharge after the repair than trying to replace JUST a clutch. I have the tools to do it, and I'd opt to replace the entire thing!

Good luck.

ps. once you have the system discharged I'd pull and replace the Orifice tube... and check for signs of a compressor failure (black crud on the screen - referred to as "The Black Death")

Back