• Register Today It's free!

A/C Compressor won't stay on

buggy07740

Reaction score
City, State
long branch, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT
Whenever I turn on my AC I hear the compressor click on, then a second or two later it clicks back off and repeats itself as long as the climate control knob is on AC or MAX AC.... any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you getting cold A/C? It's supposed to cycle as the system pressures change. If your low on R134 it will short cycle and obviousily you will not have cold a/c.

It's annoying, i know. That usually means that you need to add freon. It's very simple to just disconnect the clutch switch on top of the accumulator until you can get this done.

How exactly do I handle the clutch switch? If I just leave the climate control in the "off" position is that ok?

Are you getting cold A/C? It's supposed to cycle as the system pressures change. If your low on R134 it will short cycle and obviousily you will not have cold a/c.

i'm having the same problem but i do get cold air from AC and MAX AC.

I'm having the exact same problem. Turn A/C on, the A/C clutch kicks in but only for a second or two, then back out.

Has anyone got this issue fixed? Is it just due to low gas?

Thanks.:navajo:

It is low on r134a. Just get a small can and add it in. It really is just a couple minute job. I use this stuff:
http://www.amazon.com/EZ-CHILL-R134...?ie=UTF8&qid=1350658747&sr=8-5&keywords=r134a

It is also at walmart. I did try the cheaper stuff at autozone recently which had a clear hose included but no dial. The hose leaked spraying fluid all over the engine, my hands (wearing gloves) my glasses and face. They didn't want to take the return cause the can was empty. Well duh, its under pressure and has a leak. What idiot wouldn't empty it for safety.

Check out this thread and see my newbie questions about the same problem:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=361664

fast cycling of the a/c compressor is due to low freon (R134A). you'll may still get relatively cold air until the pressure drops to the point where the compressor will not come on at all. the a/c system has high and low pressure sensors/switches which cut out the compressor, when necessary, to protect the system. you probably have a small refrigerant leak somewhere. (Tip: if you no longer have the plastic covers that go over the high & low schrader valves, get new ones and make sure they're tight. i've found it pretty common for especially the low pressure side schrader valve to leak a little).

Back