• Register Today It's free!

A/C Could be better

lennymu

Reaction score
City, State
Northern, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XL 4.0L 4X4 4DR.
I have a '94 Exploder XLT, I recently topped off my system. The ambient temp is 80, LO Side PSI is 34, HIGH Side PSI is 248, and the pump is not cycling but engaged. Control panel temp set to cold, selector set to MAX and the vent temperature is 52 degrees, nothing colder. The hotter it gets, the warmer the vent temp becomes. Any ideas as to what could be the problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is this at idle or moving? My vent temp drops when in motion and rises slightly when at idle.

At idle or moving, didn't matter but a degree or two. I had to raise rpm's to 2000 to get it that temp also.

The HP side seems high. IIRC I'm somewhere around 180. It's not overfilled is it? Do you have condensation on the accumulator or on the suction hose going to the compressor?

Another possibility is a clogged orifice tube.

If it was mine, I'd give it a really good vacuum (>1 hour) then fill with the amount of R134a on the sticker next to the hood latch.

It's the nature of A/C system that's installed to reach it's best efficiency when air is flowed over the condensor removing heat. My system does 52º vent also but at 96º ambient. I pick up 5-6º when I'm going over 40 mph

I'll give it a shot AFTER I fix the broken spark plug that I just broke off doing a tune up....

All other things being equal, 34 on the low side should produce much colder air than you are getting. As always I am with Shamaal. I am going to nominate him as a co-moderator on this forum... everyone in agreement ?

I'll second that..............

He is really on it...............he has helped many an owner with their AC problems................and his pics are invaluable.

Aloha, Mark

Back