• Register Today It's free!

A/C issue

Mudboy

Reaction score
City, State
Bellmawr NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 ex
Well I just my Ex back up and going the other day. i havent drove it since it was cold. i checked the A/C and it just blew hot air and the compressor never turned on. I then hooked up one of the cheap refill bottles with a gauge to read the pressure, it was well into the red (over pressured). I bled some of until it got into the green. Now what happens is, with the A/C turned onto "Max A/C" fan on high and knob pressed in turning the a/c on, the compressor will kick on for a second then shut off for a few. It keeps doing this with no temp difference. When the compressor turns on it builds pressure pretty high, when it shuts off it's within limits.
Anyone have a clue?

The low pressure port on the 91-94 Explorer is on the passenger side of the vehicle, near the blower fan. This is where you connected, yes?

The compressor switching off/on sounds like it's low on charge. Somewhere around here is a thread that has a great troubleshooting aid.

EDIT: I forgot to ask what year you have, and if it's been converted to R134a.

Here is a link to the A/C forum area (lots of great info in there):
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=123

i checked the A/C and it just blew hot air and the compressor never turned on. I then hooked up one of the cheap refill bottles with a gauge to read the pressure, it was well into the red (over pressured). I bled some of until it got into the green. Now what happens is, with the A/C turned onto "Max A/C" fan on high and knob pressed in turning the a/c on, the compressor will kick on for a second then shut off for a few. It keeps doing this with no temp difference. When the compressor turns on it builds pressure pretty high, when it shuts off it's within limits.
Anyone have a clue?[/QUOTE]

First part, the pressure will be high IF the compressor is not running, should be equal to about the air temperature, you should take a pressure reading when the compressor is running.
You say "When the compressor turns on it builds pressure pretty high", well you are reading pressure on the high side port OR there is a blockage between the low side port and the compressor.

Back