Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

A/C Line Leak

Discussion in 'Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion' started by 2012XLTEXPLORER, May 7, 2017.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. DraftEdison

DraftEdison Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
    16 Explorer XLT 202A AWD
    You mean besides the fact that it's summer and 90 degrees out with 90% humidity! I'm pretty sure my children and dog feel the same way....

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. DraftEdison

DraftEdison Member

16 Explorer XLT 202A AWD
    4 weeks Peter and all they have are 20 of them? Whose supplying the parts or lack there of? It truly makes me want to trade it in on a different brand when I've been loyal to Ford for 20 plus years.

4. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2020 Aviator Reserve
    Callsign:
    VE3
    In the 'old days' before A/C we just simply rolled the windows down.;)

Peter

5. DraftEdison

DraftEdison Member

16 Explorer XLT 202A AWD
    Oh trust me, I have owned several cars without air conditioning but when you pay $40,000 for a new vehicle you kinda expect it to work for longer than 3 years. I owned my last explorer sport trac for 16 years and had less problems with it then I have had with this one and it was half the cost when it was new. I think vehicle quality is going down hill.....

6. Dan explorer

Dan explorer New Member

2016 explorer xlt
    Aluminum tubing to rear ac from compressor rotted or oxidized and leaking where they enter cabin at rear ac.
    Replace both tubes $1,800
    Ford is offering to pay half.
    This should never have happened.
    How can I get them to pay for entire job?
    3 2016 explorers at dealership waiting for same parts. Parts are currently not available
    Back up: brought it in for rear brakes picked it up with no ac
    20 days out of warranty
    Thanks for your help!

7. JAPeterson

JAPeterson Active Member

City, State:
    Gypsum, Co
    2016 XLT
    Being out of warranty you are lucky that they paid for half.

Evidently you don't have a extended warranty.

8. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2020 Aviator Reserve
    Callsign:
    VE3
    Welcome to the Forum Dan.:wave:
    I agree with JAPeterson that you are fortunate that Ford is willing to pay half. I also don't understand why there are so many A/C line failures.

Peter

9. DraftEdison

DraftEdison Member

16 Explorer XLT 202A AWD
    Update: end of week 6 still not fixed. Still no parts. Being told they are going to ship "some" on July 26th but still no guarantee that I will be one of the lucky ones. Dealer is hopeful that I may get lucky because of the amount of time I have been waiting. The saga continues....

10. KayGee

KayGee Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Farmington, MI
    '16 & '17 PIU
    If you are paying out of pocket, you may want to check eBay and other online offerings. I found several rear lines in stock and available for immediate shipment. Some were at ford dealers.

11. blwnsmoke

blwnsmoke Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    2020 Explorer ST
    Oit of warranty is out of warranty. Warranty coverage is black and white and you are lucky Ford picked up half. Should it have happened, no but count your blessings because Ford could have said NO.

As stated, 1 of the many reasons to get an ESP. Things are just way too expensive on modern vehicles and this 1 repair is more than a 6yr/125k warranty.

12. buschman

buschman New Member

2008 Eddie Bauer 4WD V8
    Ok so here's a solution that worked (so far) for me.

Mine also had a pinhole leak at the apex of the low pressure line bend at the rear of the vehicle. I could see fixture marks on the line, it looks to have been poorly bent by the supplier resulting in a thinned flat spot on the 90-degree bend going to the rear unit. Definitely a stress riser there + thin material = not surprising it failed. I circled it in the photo below, this is from the rear of the vehicle on the driver side looking forwar.
    IMG_20190509_215405819_HDR.jpg
    Yes I was quoted $1400ish to have the rear subframe & fuel tank dropped and the line replaced all the way the front. On mine the rest of the line looks bright and clean, no corrosion to be concerned about there. I want rear A/C functionality so capping it off was out of the question.

Initially I called all the local a/c repair shops -- nobody could come up with a good way to cut, crimp, and splice a new piece onto my existing line. I found a longish flat/straight section on the line ~17" forward of the bend, loosened some of the clamps, and cut it with a rotary pipe cutter. It's 5/8" aluminum so it cuts pretty easily. I carefully deburred the inside and was careful so all the metallic shavings stayed outside the line.

My local hydraulic supply shop has tubing that size but they couldn't ultimately fab up something as they don't have the interfacing fitting to go to the rear condenser. They cut and welded a newly formed line to my fittings but couldn't get it to seal. Too bad, that would have been really inexpensive.

So, plan B: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0083H5ELM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Dorman makes what appears to be a knockoff of a GM compression service part for splicing A/C lines, this was ~$20. Make sure you get the 5/8" version if your low pressure line is leaking (model 800-640).
    IMG_20190615_132459154.jpg
    I ordered a replacement low pressure line from my dealer, it was ~$180 and luckily not backordered. It's pretty long so can be a pain to transport. I cut off the same length piece from the new line, installed it onto the vehicle with the Dorman compression splice, did an evacuation and it held a strong vacuum. I left it that way a couple of days to be sure. I then charged the system and it's been holding for 2-3 months now.
    IMG_20190615_132229512.jpg IMG_20190615_132245387.jpg
    Will this work for you? I dunno, I am not an a/c expert. Everyone I talked to was shocked my '14 Explorer with ~100k miles had this failure....this is something they see on 15-year-old vehicles.

Best of luck whatever you try. Looking at the photo again I may go wrap that splice with some rubber hose to keep it from rubbing against the sister line....

• Like Like x 1
  13. 03WIExplorerLtd

03WIExplorerLtd Active Member

2011 Explorer FWD base
  14. KayGee

KayGee Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Farmington, MI
    '16 & '17 PIU
    That's what I suggested a page back. Great find on the doorman fitting. I figured there would be something out there. Very reasonable diy alternative for those without warranty rather than capping off the rear system.

I don't know why ford engineers didn't develop a service kit like this to begin with. It would be a huge cost save for warranty repairs, rather than replacing the entire hose.