Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

A/C Problems

Discussion in 'General Explorations!!' started by dynmicracr, September 15, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. dynmicracr

dynmicracr New Member

City, State:
      Fremont, CA
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      95 XLT
      Hey Guys-

I have been reading your board for a few months. I have been able to fix some problems thanks to you guys. So I just wanted to say thanks for helping even though you didn't know you were ;)

Now I have a problem that I have not been able to find on the boards. It is regarding the A/C system. It stopped cycling on and off and I get nothing but hot air. After looking on the forums I think that it may either be the A/C clutch or the compressor but I am not sure. Here is what happened leading up to it. The A/C was cycling on and off at a rapid rate. It went warm all of the sudden and then after we turned the car off, we got into it the next day and it worked one more time. After that it was gone.

I went and got the A/C refrigerant pressure sensor and also the refill kit with the pressure gauge. When I tested it, it registered high at about 115 PSI which is nuts. I tested my Supra and it registered about the same. It works fine so I am not sure whats up with that. Another thing to note is that the A/C relay clicks about every second when I move the switch to on. I thought that the relay may have been bad so I swapped it out with another and it does the same thing. Thought the relay thing may be of some use to anyone that has gone through this before.

Any help that you guys could offer would be great.

Thanks for all your help,

Alex

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Alec

Alec Elite Moderator Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Houston, Texas
      2008 JK
      Like you said, probably the compressor or the clutch. Time for a new compressor!

4. dynmicracr

dynmicracr New Member

City, State:
      Fremont, CA
      95 XLT
      Are they one piece? Or are they separate? Would it be smarter for me to replace the clutch then the compressor? Anyone know a place to get them for cheap? :D

Thanks,

Alex

5. parker2k

parker2k New Member

City, State:
      Birmingham, AL
      '00 Limited
      This probably has absolutely nothing to do with your particular AC problem, but I thought I'd mention it just in case.

I have a '00 Limited and have had problems on 2 occasions with the thermostat. The last time was in warm weather and the AC absolutely shut down and would not work. Ford explained that it's an automatic shut-down to prevent risk to the engine and other electronics. The vehicle actually ran like crap during this time also. So before you shell out a lot of money - you may want to confirm that your thermostat is functioning okay. Just something else to check.

6. dynmicracr

dynmicracr New Member

City, State:
      Fremont, CA
      95 XLT
      Hey thanks for the ideas. I did actually replace the thermostat. I thought I had remembered someone saying that the thermostat was causing AC problems for them. That and the temp gauge was not registering hardly at all. I replaced the thermostat and the temp gauge sender probe and that fixed that.

Alex

7. dynmicracr

dynmicracr New Member

City, State:
      Fremont, CA
      95 XLT
      Hey guys-

Just wanted to say thanks to all for all of your help. It looks like it turned out to be the A/C Refrigerant Pressure sensor.

Thanks again!

Alex