Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

A/C shuts down after awhile

Discussion in 'Under the Hood' started by lexplorer, September 18, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. lexplorer

lexplorer New Member

City, State:
      burlington ontario,canada
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '92 XLT
      I have a problem with a/c .. I notice the temp gauge goes up ,and than the a/c will start blowing warm air. I will turn off a/c for awhile and temp will go down . but the a/c will sometimes come back on .. is there a sensor to replace when it gets to hot.... or thermastat replacement ,,p.s. its been a hot summer!!!!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. DaleG

DaleG New Member

City, State:
      Louisville, KY
      97 Explorer Sport 4X4
      If your Ex is running hot with the a/c on but not when it is off, then your cooling fan clutch is probably bad and in need of replacing. Does it do it more often in stop and go driving? If so most likely fan clutch. Also make sure nothing is blocking the front of the radiator thru the grill, flush that area real good with stream of water.

Dale

4. #1Aggie

#1Aggie New Member

City, State:
      Houston, TX
      1993 Explorer XLT
      I agree. If your fan does not pull enough air across to condense and subcool the refrigerant than you will not get the thermodynamic effects that is needed to cool your air. You may notice that there is a big difference between when you are still and when you are driving.

One word of caution about fan clutches. I changed mine out last summer with one from O' Rielly's and it stayed engaged all of the time. Driving down the road in the morning, I could not get the temp up to the "N". It took almost 20 minutes to get it there. In additon, it sounded like an air plane all of the time, even at Highway speeds.

Went back to Ford and got one from them and everything back to normal. Both locked the same, but they did not act the same.

5. lexplorer

lexplorer New Member

City, State:
      burlington ontario,canada
      '92 XLT
      a/c shutdown

thanks guys ,,, I will take a look at fan tonight ,,, yes it seems to run hot in stop and go traffic on the qew parking lot......

6. irtySanchez

irtySanchez Active Member

City, State:
      Chicago
      94 XLT
      OK friend, I have had the exact same problem that you are having with my 94 Ex. It has been discussed in this thread:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=58054

The reason why yhe A/C is shutting off is because your computer is shutting the A/C off to take some of the load off the engine and to help cool it down a bit.

My fix for this problem: replace the radiator car! It fixed my situation. I go one from Murray's Auto Parts for $6.99. That is the first thing you need to do, even before you check the fan clutch.

So start with the radiatior cap!!!