A/C - This should be simple.. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A/C - This should be simple..

G

gensic11

Ok I have asked this before, and done much searching, but to no avail. I have had a problem with my A/C for a while now. I got a new compressor like 2.5 years ago when I bought the car used.

Here is my problem..

I can hear the Compressor click on and try to cycle every 3-5 seconds. I am pretty sure the compressor is not bad. From my research on here it seems like i have "low coolant".. I know the pressure guages on the AutoZone cans aren't worth a damn according to everyone but I still put at least 2 whole cans in with no cold air to gain from it. I am doing the procedure correctly.. attached the nozzle - turned on the car, A/C to full blast and loaded in the can. I have a feeling something is clogged and is not letting the coolant to the compressor - or wherever it needs to go to end up through my vents! Has anyone had this similar problem? Do you know a cheap fix for it? I am dreading going to the dealer for them to tell me its gonna be a 500$ job when it could be much cheaper. I havent noticed any leaks or anything of that nature..

EDIT: another thing that seems to be common for my "situation" is the clogged orifice tube.. is there a write-up on where these things are and how to check them? I'm afraid if i start pulling tubes out i'm gonna damage something further..

Please help!! it's like 95degrees here and 100+ after humidity and i'm dying!! lol.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just went through similar. Go buy a real manifold gauge set. I tried to rely on the 'gauge' on those cans and found out I had too much, so the system was protecting itself and shutting off.

Kragen wanted $80, but I found one at Autozone for $45. It immediately told me what the pressure was and where it should be.

OK i went out and looked at the A/C under the hood.. everything looks to be OK except for the circular tube that you fill the freon into.. i noticed when i pulled back the "blanket" that it seemed to be rusted out and it looked a little oily around it.. i'm guessing this part has gone bad and needs to be replaced.. i'm not sure if that's the ONLY problem but that's what i saw from the looks of it.. anyone know how much this would cost to replace? i'm sure it needs to be vaccumed out and refilled and all but i DONT think my compressor is bad.. just most likely that tube piece

Well I guess im gonna go fork out a couple more hundred dollars and try to get my A/C fixed. I listed my symptoms above... and I will let everyone know what happens. I'm going to Midas to get my tires balanced (24.99) and they are doing an A/C diagnostic for 40$.. i guess that's not bad (37$) cheaper than what ford would diagnose for. Anyway i'll keep everyone updated to see what went wrong. Let's see how close i am ;). Check back here tonight around 6:30 or 7 and I should have the details and how much it's going to cost. Thanks guys

That rusted out can is the accumulator. Cost between $50 and $75. You can replace it yourself, but you will need the special tool to release the fittings... a set costs around $8. I'd suggest you then take it to a shop to have it properly evacuated (not vacuumed, but evacuated) and recharged.

ok i just got the service done.. all they told me was that i was 2 lbs low and needed a recharge.. finally got it recharged and now it's blowing cold as hell.. wasn't too expensive either. i'm going to throw away my POS AutoZone measurer.. i am sure i have a leak somewhere.. teh guy at midas told me it could be very small to big and they hooked it up to a "sniffer" and sai there were no leaks found.. so hopefully it's very small.. i just hope it stays that way.. but if not, i have about 3 months of leeway to get a free inspection if anything goes wrong.

I looked under the hood when i got back home and noticed the accumulator had a ton of persperation on it. i'm guessing its because it was so hot, and the accumulator got so cold it created the wetness.. is that correct? also i heard a hissing noise for about 15 seconds after the truck was turned off - sounded like air going through the lines.. is that normal?

You are right about the condensation. In older versions the can was insulated and the moisture was causing a rusting out problem there.

The hissing is most likely the high side and low side equalizing.. that's normal.

yeah i definitely can see that it's rusting.. which is what's leading me to believe there may be a slow leak on the accumulator somewhere - i'll have to keep an eye on it i guess. i'm just glad that seems to be my only problem - which is a fairly cheap fix if it was indeed the problem.

thanks glacier!

hmmmmm i was tyrying the same thing i know my compressor works but it seems that when i tried to fill it up it was just not doing it for me. i have the same symptoms try charging it but it feels clogged i sure hope thats my problems too cus im going crazy with this weather. :) i will also be reposting wether not it is the problem when i get to it

Back