A/C Works only on MAX-Air

Badspell68

Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT 5.0 AWD 4-Door
Hi all,
My AC only works on Max-air, any other setting it blows hot and when I turn the know with the blue and red I do not hear the baffle move anymore. It also blows hot on vent. I was told this could cost $600 to fix as the whole unit may be bad.
What do you guys think?
Ford Explorer XLT $door all wheel drive 1997

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2000 Limited with the same problem and was told $1000Aust . Blend door actuater has bolts holding it not the clips (how do you get it off) no room for spanners.
It will work on max only and cool air the rest of the settings. Does anyone know how to do a selftest on this climate control system.

FREE FIX for the AC problem

I found a simple and free fix for the AC problem posted on the net! All you need is a small nail, drill and some time. I'll look for the link again and post it.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

A/C blows cold in max setting only.

I know this is a very old post but I recently had the same problem on a 2006 Ranger. After some troubleshooting, the problem was with the blend door actuator motor module. The actuator quit with the blend door being partially open which was blowing warm out of the vents when in the a/c mode. It did blow cold air though in the max mode. I simply changed out the actuator motor module by going through the glove box door and all is well now. Once the problem was found, it was a ten minute fix.

Ted Eaton.

The motor on my explorer's blend door worked, but...I discovered the gearing attached to the motor was all plastic and it had disintegrated. I was told the whole unit needed to be pulled and replaced for $1,200. So, I fixed the problem for free.

Here is a link to the fix:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214163

Well, my husband changed out the Evaporative Core, now I only get cold air on MaxAc setting, everything else blows hot air. Even if I change the dial from cold air to hot or change to Ac or Heater side of dial, the same amount of hot air blows out. Any ideas of what could be causing this. I don't know if there is something he bumped or crossed up causing this. What do you think?

A/C blows cold in max setting only.

I know this is a very old post but I recently had the same problem on a 2006 Ranger. After some troubleshooting, the problem was with the blend door actuator motor module. The actuator quit with the blend door being partially open which was blowing warm out of the vents when in the a/c mode. It did blow cold air though in the max mode. I simply changed out the actuator motor module by going through the glove box door and all is well now. Once the problem was found, it was a ten minute fix.

Ted Eaton.
Hi
Can you tell me what is the name of the part. I need to change mine, I think. I am having the same problem with my 96 Explorer. Thank you
ANdrea

Back