A couple of problems with the explorer..any ideas? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A couple of problems with the explorer..any ideas?

SeanEXP

Reaction score
City, State
NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Explorer EB
First problem: Transmission hard jerk once it gets to about 25-30mph. It happens at both accelerating and decelerating but usually happens more when decelerating such as when I take my foot off the gas. Its happens on hills(up and down) and when level. Would flushing the transmission help or are the bands in the transmission wearing?

Second Problem: Squeaking noise when making a full turn like parking lot and the wheel get stiff and jerks. The last time this happen Ford replace the tie rods because they were too tight this was about maybe August of last year. Could this be the same problem again and why is it happen when they were changed in August?

Third Problem: I believe the EX is running lean. I would start it and it would sound like it wants to stall out and the rpms would move from o to 1,000 a couple times. I was thinking maybe the fuel filter or fuel lines?

Fourth Problem: While driving I sometimes notice a sputter feeling. Its not a big sputter but enough to feel it. I don't know how else to explain this. Anyone else have the problem or is this just me? :rolleyes: Could this be related to the third problem or is it time for spark plug/wires change?

Fifth Problem: I am not sure whether this would be a problem related to the second problem but also at times when making a full turn such as in a parking lot, it would feel as if the front wheel(s) are slipping on a piece of ice..even through the ground is dry... Maybe the 4x4 engaging at the wrong time?

Mileage is a little bit over 59k, the type of transmission is 5R55S and there isn't a CEL present either.

Thanks in advance.:)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1 i would definitely try a flush if you haven't already it should be due according to regular maintaince
2 doesnt sound like it would be tie rods again but no ideas other than looking elsewhere
my mom has a 04 4.0 that had issues 3,4. also threw a code i replaced throttle body and now it runs great( tried cleaning it but if you research 04 was the first year for drive by wire and although they wont admit it i think the 04 tb had issues) my 05 has same looking tb but none of same issues
as for

5 it sounds like its sticking in 4wheel you should try the brown wire mod....
(look on the dark side for bwm) aka modified section lol

hope some of this helps just telling you my thoughts( though all may not be relevant)

Thank you Wills for your response. I will update with the problems once I figure these problems out. :)

is it auto 4wd may have a bad wheel sensor
and thinks you're loosing tracksion and kick in awd

>>>>>>>>>>First problem: Transmission hard jerk once it gets to about 25-30mph. It happens at both accelerating and decelerating but usually happens more when decelerating such as when I take my foot off the gas. Its happens on hills(up and down) and when level. Would flushing the transmission help or are the bands in the transmission wearing?>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The original transmission in my 2005 Explorer I bought back in January had a similar problem as yours, but mainly when I decelerated. I felt a pushing feeling in the vehicle as I slowed down for a redlight or stop. Mechanics said the transmission was "downshifting hard" and there was a definate problem in the 2nd to 3rd gear shift. My Torque Converter was also shot and I had to have a rebuilt tranny installed. Getting a transmission flush may help you, but make sure you get the entire transmission and Torque Converter flushed out together along with a new filter, don't just change the fluid in the tranny pan only. The place you take it to will have to have the special tranny fluid changing machine designed for these Ford Explorer transmissions. Some places just have a machine that can flush out the tranny, but not the Torque Converter and cooler lines.

>>>>>>>>>>Second Problem: Squeaking noise when making a full turn like parking lot and the wheel get stiff and jerks. The last time this happen Ford replace the tie rods because they were too tight this was about maybe August of last year. Could this be the same problem again and why is it happen when they were changed in August?>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

My Explorer was making a clunking noise when I turned the wheel to the left a month ago and it turned out to just be the "locking nut" for the driver side tie rod came loose causing play in the tie rod. Once this locking nut was tightened up, the noise went away when turning the wheel. If thats what your problem is, it may just need to be tightened up and if you want to do it yourself, it's not hard at all and easy to reach under the front end. 2 proper sized box wrenches is all you need, not positive on the sizes but I think one of them is 13/16".

>>>>>>>>>>>>Third Problem: I believe the EX is running lean. I would start it and it would sound like it wants to stall out and the rpms would move from o to 1,000 a couple times. I was thinking maybe the fuel filter or fuel lines?>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I was told my Exp was running lean, but no error codes or stalling, just a rough idle and lousy gas mileage 10-12mpg. I've changed plugs twice, wires, fuel filter, fuel injection cleaning, had numerous engine components checked and they can't figure out what is causing the rough idle. I'm taking it in next week to try again at a different shop. I'm going to ask them to check the fuel lines this time around. I personally think my problem is a balance issue either on the Torque Converter or the Flywheel, but don't think that would be the cause of my bad fuel economy. It seems that rough idles are a common problem on these Ford Explorers. Good luck with your vehicle.

Thank you andre244 and Exproblems for the help, I will update this as soon as I can. Thanks again to everyone :)

Back