A couple of questions from a new owner... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A couple of questions from a new owner...

Dave.jj

Reaction score
City, State
Essex, England
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 SOHC 4.0L 4X4 Auto
Hi all.... some advice please, I have a 98' 4.0 Explorer.. only owned it for about a month.
I notice that there is a slight whine (maybe not the right word, but a noise of sorts) in the first two gears as I accelerate, when it changes into 3rd 4th and 5th its silent, any ideas what this could be?

Also kind of like an earlier question in this forum, when I start if it is very cold the engine races up and down for about 30 to 60 seconds and then settles down, the last owner told me it had always done this, but I am wondering if I can cure it. It never cuts out by the way, and if its not so cold it does not do it at all.... Thanks guys if you have any views.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Take a look at the tranny fluid and see the condition of it. it could be time for a change. how much of a difference in the idle is there? When i first start mine and its cold, it will jump up to around 2000RPM and then gradually drop to about 1500 or so. those numbers may be wrong tho i haven't noticed lately.

The slight whine could also be caused by your better 1/2. They tend to do that when they realize you want to spend money to do mods on a new ride. Best of luck to you and welcome.

The whine might be coming from the Belt...
Cold start sounds normal to me.

Hi all... thanks for your answers.... I will check out the oil condition and level for a start. The reving on cold start is more high low, high low high low reving than high and dropping off, I guess its not a problem just weird why it does it.
As for WISE GUY'S comment about the whine comming from my better half :) she does whine but only from the motion of the "driver" and not the car... (Oh Yeah)

And X-Factor.... the belt?? if it were the belt, what could I do about it??

Thanks again...

if you have the sohc your intake gaskets may be leaking. yoiu can get them fixed under a recall

Mine used to make a whine sound. It was coming from one of the pullies that the belt goes around. One day last month it just came off altogether. Seems like it cost about $60 to fix.

If I had to do it over again, I would have gone ahead and had it fixed- spent another $50 on the tow truck!

Just wanted to add another possibility to the list. If your truck is 4WD, it may be the Control-Trac System kicking in at low speed. (See if you have a knob labeled Auto / 4x4 High / 4x4 Low on your dash. My '98 has that, and has always had some faint, but noticeable gear whine when the front wheels are receiving power. Just a thought.

Yes it is 4x4 and I do have that control, so you think it could be normal if its too do with the 4x4....
If the oil and stuff is good then maybe I can relax, although I wish it was as quite the other gears.

Dave.jj said:
if it were the belt, what could I do about it??
Replace it. If you have 60K miles on it, definitely replace it. Cost about $27. Can't remember exactly.

Hi X~Factor... thanks again for your comment, what is the belt called, so if I go to my local garage I can tell them what I want them to look at. Is there one belt for each gear??

Just ask your mechanic to replace the belt. There's only one belt there to replace.

yea i was gonna say the belt i got a 98 and it's the same sorta thing gonna get it replaced in the next few weeks or so

Check the fluid level in the transfer case for your whine!

If you have the service records and have the SOHC engine, check and see if the work covered by ONP 00M12 and 01M01 were performed (intake o-rings, camshaft tensioners and timing chain cassettes). Run a search for the above numbers for lots of threads describing the symptoms and fixes.

Fluctuating idle can be the IAC going bad, or bad O-rings, or it just might be the compressor running. It runs when HVAC is set to all positions except Panel (and Floor 99+ ?). Next time try starting the truck with the selector OFF and see if the fluctuating idle persists.

i just called up my local mechanic shop that i go 2....97$ for the belt including install...so i dunno where u got it for 27 but lol u got a damn good deal

$97 for a belt and labor? you can buy a good belt for $30 and install it yourself, dont get ripped off on minor repairs you can do yourself. just a word of advice

yeah someone wanted the same thing to replace my belt, right at $100. Pep boys has it for $30 takes 10 minutes.

well what belt are we talking about?? Someone told me theres a timing belt and a serpentine belt (i think that's how it's spelled) I need my serpentine belt replaced...if that makes a difference

the serpentine belt is on the front of the motor, snakes around all your pulleys, hence the name SERPENTine belt. There is a tensioner that holds it tight. all you need to change the belt is a ratchet, socket, and 15 mins spare time. oh, follow the belt diagram

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well I just looked in my repair manual, and I cant see what belt your all on about, if it is an easy job then I will have a go myself, but I am still in the dark as to what belt I am looking for.... Maybe I am dumb?? (don't answer that).

But thanks so far for your comments guys... its good to know your all out there.:)

Back