1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

A few X's from socalcustoms.com show coverage

Discussion in 'Street Trucks' started by dropped02sport, September 27, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. dropped02sport

dropped02sport Member

City, State:
      tejas
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '02 Sport
      [​IMG]

Before it was bagged:
      [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Robb

Robb Explorer Addict

Nice Camber!

Robb

4. X24

X24 RAMajama

City, State:
      Pleasant Valley, NY
      05 RAM 2500 TURBO DIESEL
      Theres not much you can do with trucks like that except show them.

5. RoadEnforcer

RoadEnforcer Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Philadelphia, PA
      2001 Sport
      when you have a truck like that, why would you wanna do anything else but show them... I Love the 2001 sport, it looks great.

6. X24

X24 RAMajama

City, State:
      Pleasant Valley, NY
      05 RAM 2500 TURBO DIESEL
      Well, I dont mean to toot my own horn, but I consider my truck to be pretty nice and its my daily driver.

7. RoadEnforcer

RoadEnforcer Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Philadelphia, PA
      2001 Sport
      Yeah i agree with you, i think you have a very nice truck. I am just saying, if i did mods like the socalcustoms.com did to mine, I wouldnt mind it being for all show.

8. X24

X24 RAMajama

City, State:
      Pleasant Valley, NY
      05 RAM 2500 TURBO DIESEL
      Is there any money in those shows or is it just a trophy and a congratulations?

9. Hartman

Hartman Explorer Addict

City, State:
      Indianapolis, IN
      1996 5.0
      Oh yeah there's money. That is the reason you see trucks body dropped to where the shifter is on the dashboard, all just for winning the uniqueness awards and stuff. Basically a money generator.

10. jimbo74

jimbo74 Elite Exploder Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Nor*Cal
      2001, F150, XLT 4x4
      i like the all white in every body style.... very nice... i think they are too low to be functional... but their function is shows.... so it does fill that purpose.....

11. Hartman

Hartman Explorer Addict

City, State:
      Indianapolis, IN
      1996 5.0
      I like the 01 Sport and the 2nd gen, but I don't care for the 1st gen. I'm not too keen on 1st gen streets for the most part (there are exceptions, don't flame me!).

12. X24

X24 RAMajama

City, State:
      Pleasant Valley, NY
      05 RAM 2500 TURBO DIESEL
      It still seems like all they have is a billet grille, chrome 20's and bags.

Dont get me wrong... they look nice for the look they are going for but does having bags put you one step above the rest of the world?

13. jasonf83

jasonf83 Active Member

City, State:
      Newnan GA
      93 XLT
      yes it does

14. Robb

Robb Explorer Addict

no it doesn't................it is simple showboating. no point except to sit still and look "cool"..........and I use that term loosely

15. X24

X24 RAMajama

City, State:
      Pleasant Valley, NY
      05 RAM 2500 TURBO DIESEL
      Doesnt an airbag suspension suck on the road? I would much rather have a suspension lowered 2" and have excellent handling than a bag suspension who's sole purpose is to make it bounce or drop it right to the ground where you cant drive it anyway.

16. jasonf83

jasonf83 Active Member

City, State:
      Newnan GA
      93 XLT
      Well i figgured a while a go if i wanted somthing that handled good i would have got a sports car. an explorer issent even fast. bags would be so tight. yall must not have ever seen them in person.

17. LoudExplorer

LoudExplorer New Member

City, State:
      Sherwood, AR or Memphis, TN
      98 eddie baure 4x4
      Trucks that are bagged have very very smooth rides. Also 20's and baggs on an X dose put you above a lot of other X's Also why can't those trucks be daily drivers? I know a lot of people with Air ride supensions that drive their trucks daily

18. Robb

Robb Explorer Addict

My only reasoning for the bagged Xs not being daily drivers is simple: Look at the camber on those front wheels. If you drive with those things like that, those high dollar tires aren't gonna last 5K miles. So, to drive, you would have to bag them up to where a correct camber can be achieved. Once you reach the level where camber is correct, that is where the truck should be permanently. To drop it to lower where the camber is shot just so the truck sits lower is simply putting on a show. Functionally, being that low serves no purpose at all.

BTW: Riding that camber would cause hard riding and very little traction on the road.

Robb

19. X24

X24 RAMajama

City, State:
      Pleasant Valley, NY
      05 RAM 2500 TURBO DIESEL
    20. LoudExplorer

LoudExplorer New Member

City, State:
      Sherwood, AR or Memphis, TN
      98 eddie baure 4x4
      When you are driving you air up the truck, and you can ride at stock height if you wish in most cases, and for sure so that your camber is correct so you won't be tearing up tires. Also when most bagged trucks are laid out you can't even really turn. So people dont really drive around with the front that low at all.

21. dropped02sport

dropped02sport Member

City, State:
      tejas
      '02 Sport
      Getting an Explorer bagged definitely deserves recognition of the custom work that was done. A lot of other vehicles have "bolt-on bag" kits, but the Explorer is one vehicle that has virtually no products available in regards to lowering. I think Ekstensive charges around $4K to put bags on any vehicle. I think the only kit they sell is a "universal" 2-Link, otherwise the majority of their work is all custom fabricated, and they've probably bagged just about anything you can think of from Golf Carts, to Mitsubishi Montero's, to motorcycle trailers.

Then, to get a vehicle to actually lay its body flat on the ground requires a whole new level of custom fabrication, whether its a tube chassis, basic body drop, stock floorboard body drop, etc. Definitely some serious work involved.

I'd definitely like to see some custom body work done to the vehicles above though, especially roll pans :D

22. racinjason68

racinjason68 Active Member

City, State:
      2003 Limited V8 AWD
      '91XLT '92EB4x '96V8 2wd
      Air bags....

Well for anyone how has air ride I give a high five to. I have air ride and if you have ever tried to put air on your X you would realise that it is more than just bolting a bracket up. It takes alot of testing and time to "bag" a X. Trust me... As for just for show, well I am doing alot of work to mine and it is my daily driver with 20's and lowered on air. Check out my X and see what u think. As for the camber part notta prob, possibly a hair more tire wear and alot when all the air is out, but that is not how you are supposed to drive it. See you set the air pressure to a specific amount and have it alligned then when you are ready to drive down the highway air it up to that amount and cruise away with minimal tire wear, and a better ride than a hard drop. Hard drop I mean blocks and I beams or TT and blocks. Think about it your riding on air with shocks.. Trust me look at my pic mine has been both ways. A step ahead maybe not, but kudos for havin put forth the effort, definately. This is my opinion and I used to be all about 4x4's.... Till I gave it a shot and realized that there is alot to "air ride"...

http://www.cardomain.com/member_pag...brand_query=model=Explorer&tree=Ford Explorer
      Later RJ68

23. X24

X24 RAMajama

City, State:
      Pleasant Valley, NY
      05 RAM 2500 TURBO DIESEL
      Your truck looks pretty nice. Nice job. I like the shiny paint.

24. Jesse

Jesse Member

City, State:
      Erie, PA
      '96 4.0L XLT
      Apart from the fugly rims on the first two, definitely some nice custom work here!

25. expo5.0

expo5.0 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Red Wing, MN
      1996 xlt
      bags are a lot of work and tons of props to anyone who does them themselves! and even more props to anyone who designs them themselves and does it in such a way that they are durable, ride better than stock, and actually improve the vehicle.

but 98x24 is right, i'd take my truck anyday over one of those. it looks almost as good (but would look better if you could just picture my hellions as 22s or something -but that would not be functional so what would the point be?) and it actually drives. i really don't get those kind of vehicles, they appear they've never even been driven. i mean i emulate (or set depending on how you look at it) the style of those trucks, and i love to look at them. however, in another way i really don't get it. why wouldn't the person with that much money build a truck like rocket5759 is trying to build, all smoothed out with 20s, tvs and a 347. he's gonna be tight as hell and far functionally superior to a stock explorer and infinitely more functional than one of those. or why wouldn't they just buy a nice car like an m5 or amg benz or something? i know that if i ever get the kind of bucks to build a truck that just sits around and is completely non functional i never will. thats not to say i won't modify my vehicles, just that i would never modify them in a way that makes them unusable. its too bad that when you go to a show people don't look at the functioinality of the vehicles. its also too bad that in this day in age it takes ripping your truck apart and actually ruining its functionality (handling, towing, space in the back (for a "wall" of subs), visibility, etc. etc.) in order to make a statement loud enough that your truck gets any visibility at all. flipping through old issues of trucking circa 96 or 98 or so i see the kinds of vehicles i wish were still on the cutting edge today. there are suv's on 17s with mild drops and supercharged v8s with almost stock interiors and stealthy system installs and chevy trucks with dubs (oh my god their huge) but with functional drops and real engine mods. today the same vehicle would barely make it into their readers rides section. and it takes a truck you would never actually drive to make it into the magazine. I hope more and more enthusiasts will give props to the functional vehicles and the balance will swing back in that direction! we should be promoting lowdpipes mountie, 98x24s truck etc. those vehicles and others like it are the street modified vehicles that i want to see more of. if you read all of this i'm impressed, and i hope you feel whre i'm coming from and aren't offended or anything. i'm not trying to single anyone out and say i don't like their truck, just that i don't like the direction things are going in.

26. X24

X24 RAMajama

City, State:
      Pleasant Valley, NY
      05 RAM 2500 TURBO DIESEL