• Register Today It's free!

A grand later and still warm!

Phantom5.0

Reaction score
City, State
Spokane, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Limited 5.0
First off- thanks to those that helped me the other day. I was stuck in Seattle with a smoked compressor.
Had a dealer (only people with an open schedule!!) replace the compressor/clutch, orifice tube, and drier. They flushed the system twice and recharged and retested.
Sent me on my way.
I discovered about halfway back to Spokane that my compressor clutch engages and disengages about once every three seconds. But only with engine speeds over 1k. If the motor is idling, it'll run all day, but the second the revs get up over about 1200, it disengages, and about 3 sec later, engages for about 2-3 sec.
SO- I talked to the dealer again- was told to replace the pressure switch. I did that yesterday. No change.
I've now spent over $1100 on this whole thing and have warm air. I had a perfectly fine system a week ago- now all the components are new, and the air sucks!
Do you think I have a leak they didn't find, or did they maybe not recharge it correctly?
Should I go back to a Ford dealer since they will "warranty" the work they did- and wait four more days to do it while it's 95+ here, or say screw it and go somewhere else to have it checked and/or recharged?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

either you have a leak and your refrigerant has seeped out or they simply did not put enough refrigerant into the system.

First thing I'd suggest doing is getting a set of R134a manifold gauges. Definately check the PSI's on the low pressure & high pressure sides.

Gonna check if I have a leak- if I do, I'll fix it. If the refridgerant is low, Ford will fix it. :)

if you have a leak and you paid for the vacuum/pressure test then it would be their fault it was not found....

Well, I took it into Ford Sat. morning. They checked it again. It was 2/3 of a pound low. So they fixed me up and I now have cold air. And the Ford dealer that did the original work is paying for it.
Maybe I'm just noticing things a little more, but it still seems like the compressor is cycling a lot. In outside air of about 84, and the EATC set at Auto 74 it would run about 10-11 sec. both on and off. My service guy said that's a little excessive, but to keep an eye on it this week.
On the plus side, it'll freeze me out of there again. :)

sounds normal to me, the compressors on each truck seem to vary just a bit.....on my 5.0L is comes on for like 5 seconds then goes off....repeat, on my buddies 95 (I just charged his AC for him this weekend) it stays on for about 8 second then cycles off...I think there are just many variables to have them all function the same (idle speed, coolant level, system pressure, outside temps, compressor age, etc)

Yeah- I kinda figured there would be. I guess maybe my compressor had been going bad, 'cause I never really noticed it before. Or maybe dumping 1100 into the AC system has got me a little more conscious of what's going on.

Back