A Modest proposal for those 5R55E Owners - EPC Solenoid Replacement Proposal | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A Modest proposal for those 5R55E Owners - EPC Solenoid Replacement Proposal

Glacier991

EF Tranny Guru
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento, CA 95827
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT
Ok... I'm doing a little searching here. For those of you with 5R55E transmissions who either need to or are thinking about replacing the EPC solenoid due to 2-3 shift flare or other potential EPC related issues.... let me float an idea past you....

The current model EPC solenoid is made by Bosch. It apparently, as we all know, has a little problem in that it seems to need replacement more often than other solenoids... sometimes as soon as 60,000 miles or so. (Though usually longer). As was described in the thread about the 2-3 flare, the design of this solenoid makes it terribly unforgiving of any contamination.

Now... just for grins... let's suppose that a major manufacturer had worked up an alternative design of the EPC solenoid.... one possibly more resistant to failure and forgiving of contaminants.

Ok a fair Q here - why not have FORD test it? Well... think a minute, think FORD and BOSCH might already have a long term deal? WHY would they want to help? So, now what can the Mfgr do?

Well, let's suppose that same manufacturer wanted to find an independent test group to utilize their design... probably fill out some periodic questionairres, and in effect provide a "test-bed fleet".... in exchange for providing a solenoid for little or no cost?

Psst... THAT's US!

How many would be interested in providing a platform for such a test?

For now just reply here. As this thing possibly firms up should the numbers be of interest to the company, we can get more specifics, probably directly from them.

Fire away guys. I know I want one! (actually I have several VB's I could apply them to, but the discussion here is one per vehicle driven.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I dont have the 2-3 flare (yet) on the current rebuilt transmission.
But here's one 5R55E up for the test :D

I'd love to get this tranny problem resolved. I could get the separator plate replaced while I'm at it! :)

Count me in :) :thumbsup:

What about the different design of the 95-96 compared to the 97-up? I know that they are different part numbers, and for some reason the older one is double the price. Are they really interchangeable, or is it just a way for the distributors to make more money? I think the newer design is inductive signature, but I don't know if the older ones had that. Some how I think they probably didn't.

Well I don't have a 5R55E but I am really interested in what you're up too.

What ARE you up too???;)

Excellent Q and I will get an answer. Meanwhile I am hoping to get a meaningful number of interested folks so this can happen. A dozen or so will not be of much interest to this major company.... redesign of things like this are hugely expensive and they will want a significant number of test vehicles. Although, WE can provide a more "real world" test platform than any manufacturer could!

The change out is SIMPLE. If you are considering it, I say GO FOR IT.

That last post was for Brooklyn Bay. And for Bent Bolt... what I am "up to" <g>... I am trying to assist folks with Explorers make meaningful fixes and save money by doing as much as they can themselves.

That said, Bent Bolt... you have been a great breath of knowledgeable fresh air here and your presence is appreciated. Please stay around.

I think a working arrangement wherein 5R55 owners can help a major manufacturer and at the same time save themselves money and maybe have a better tranny is a win win? Don't you ?

And yes the maker of this is someone whose products I generally choose for my rebuilds where available. Not some newbie company. They are QUALITY, and you all know their name.... when I can disclose that you will be pleasantly surprised.

Will these EPC solenoids be only for the 4R55E, and 5R series, or will they also be available for the 4R70W as well as other Ford transmissions? Are they also looking for testers on GM, Chrysler, and foreign vehicles? A lot of people here have second cars they might want to test them on.

For right now, let's just limit our discussion to the 4R/5R series. In fairness the 4R70W EPC is not a major problem child..... as for the GM's etc... I have no idea.... and this is not about those transmissions. Think FORD!

Why not write to the people at Sonnax? Their open to suggestions.

Hi James! And well.. Sonnax thus far does not make transmission electronics. They are of course an excellent company...But... the R&D for new design solenoids is hugely expensive and i doubt they care to wager that much. The company we are exploring this arrangement with can afford it.

im ready for testing!! count me in

Brooklyn Bay... yes they did. I think I'm all for giving them a try.

Strocket.... yer IN!

I'm interested, and have been contemplating a preemptive EPC replacement at 116K. I'm not having any issues, but I need to do a filter and partial fluid change soon. I have the filter and 6 quarts of AmsOil in my garage waiting.

But, my skeptical engineer side says:

What happens if the new design isn't so good? Are we then on our own?

i am in but cant wait too long.

Dogfriend, keep the old one. BB, theyare offerring incredible genorosity of a NEW design, so of course they are not going to "give" you a Bosch design - what would be the point. Zhanx... I'll be contacting them soon to let them know if there is much interest here. Be patient.

Question: Do they need troubled transmissions with the shift flare, or are they looking for healthy transmissions without a problem? If it's the latter, and it won't require a trip to California for the install, and they'll cover the cost of the install, sign me up. It's a daily driver, roughly 90-100 miles a day, so it should make a perfect test-bed.

And if installing their unit still fails, will they foot the bill for the repairs?

-Joe

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back