A Modest proposal for those 5R55E Owners - EPC Solenoid Replacement Proposal | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A Modest proposal for those 5R55E Owners - EPC Solenoid Replacement Proposal

Wait til I know it is a go.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well Glacier, I guess I can hold off until May 1st just to see what happens by then before I go buy one. I'm still in so just let me know...

2001 Sport Trac

I just went through the bonded separator plate swap and a TSB involving replacing a small valve of some kind, stopped the flare problem for a few miles then it came right back. I almost replaced the EPC solenoid but Ford wanted almost $200 for it and I thought from reading another forum the plate gasket would fix it.

My question is - Will waiting until May 1st or after harm the trans if it is driven a few miles every day and on a full day delivery route one day?

My distinct impression is there are some very knowledgeable folks here, glad I found the site

No the flare problem won't hurt anything. Just don't goose the accelerator during the flare... it will only potentially cause more slippage and possible harsh engagement.

Yes, I often let off the gas just before shifts, that's how I've gotten so many miles from my 91 and 93 Explorers.

So let's say that this thing works well, is there any advantage to performing the same type of upgrade to any of the other selonoids? or are the pressures and usages of those selonoids not prone to the same weaknesses of the EPC?

So let's say that this thing works well, is there any advantage to performing the same type of upgrade to any of the other selonoids? or are the pressures and usages of those selonoids not prone to the same weaknesses of the EPC?

The other solenoids are used for gear selection. They are either on or off depending upon what gear has been commanded by the PCM.

The EPC solenoid is a variable force solenoid used to control the line pressure in the transmission. It tries to match whatever pressure is commanded by the PCM. The line pressure has a lot of effect on how hard or soft the shifts are, how much force can be transmitted by the clutch plates, etc.

The EPC has a much more difficult job than the other solenoids, and is more critical to the transmission operation than the other solenoids.

edit: The only other solenoid is the Converter Clutch Solenoid which isn't technically on or off, but is PWM driven. It isn't as critical as the EPC.

edit: The only other solenoid is the Converter Clutch Solenoid which isn't technically on or off, but is PWM driven. It isn't as critical as the EPC.

would that be referred to as the TCC or Coast Selonoid?

The Coast Clutch solenoid is referred to as SS4 in the Ford manual. It is either on or off. The Converter clutch solenoid is referred to as the TCC as Brooklyn said.

If it's not too late to join sign me up as well. Thanks in advance.

any news ???

Subscribing. I'm at 60K and was leaning towards doing an OEM replacement anyway when I drop the pan and update the VB.

I'm guessing his '99 B4000 has one. ;)

I'll tag this with extreme interest...I'm starting to have "issues"...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back