1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

A Sub for SQ...

Discussion in 'Explorer Audio & Navigation' started by BigBadWimp, December 10, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. BigBadWimp

BigBadWimp Active Member

City, State:
      Beaver Falls, PA
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '94 Sport
      I'm looking to get just one sub to improve the sound of my system. I'll try to make this easy for you guys:
      - I currently have a pioneer deck with 4 pioneer 4-ways replacing the stock speaker
      -I'm looking for something to sound good, not necessarily get loud
      -I want to build my own box (sealed)
      -I have to be able to talk the wife into it (this means cost friendly!)
      -of course, it will need an amp with it

So what do you suggest? From what I've read on here I'm thinking a 10" would be fine for my needs. Something with a 200w rms, maybe? Or is that even to loud for my system? Would it be possible to do this for under $300?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. terdrocket

terdrocket Traitor SS

City, State:
      jax, fl
      TBSS
      I would suggest a 4 channel amp. Power the front speakers w/ 2 channels of the amp and bridge channels 3 & 4 to a sub. This would sound much better than just powering a sub. It will really "clear" the sound up while doing so even at higher volume levels. Keep running the rears off of the deck.

amp

sub

These are just examples of items within your stated budget. 3/4" mdf, screws, glue, carpet - add about $40-$50. A wiring kit will run $30-$100, depending on size and quality.

4. BigBadWimp

BigBadWimp Active Member

City, State:
      Beaver Falls, PA
      '94 Sport
      Yes, this is exactly what I'm thinking. In fact, I was looking at that same sub... Why do you say run the fronts off the amp but not the rears? Why not keep runing all of those off the deck? I'm not asking to challenge you, I'm asking becasue I'm pretty new to all of this. Also, would I want the wiring kit they offer ($30) and that extra rca patch cable ($9) too?

5. terdrocket

terdrocket Traitor SS

City, State:
      jax, fl
      TBSS
      You want to create a sound stage.
      With a perfect set up, you could close your eyes and your ears would trick you and make it sound as if the music was being performed right in front of your face. When attending concerts (rock, rap, or classical) the music is in front of you.
      A more natural sound will come from a good front sound stage with the rear only for fill.
      The lower frequencies (bass) is more omnidirectional than the higher frequencies, so the sub can be placed in the rear. Although, I had a '94 explorer and put a 10" sub up front in between the dash and center console. The sound was great, plus it required less volume (power) due to it being so close.

Running the front stage off of an amp will really clear up your mids and highs. Don't believe the power numbers on your disc player. 50x4 on a head unit is really something like ~ (14 to 24) x 4.

An amp w/ 50 watts rms / channel is really 50 watts per channel, if not more.

Yes, wiring kit and patch cable needed

6. BigBadWimp

BigBadWimp Active Member

City, State:
      Beaver Falls, PA
      '94 Sport
      In that case, why not get a 4 channel amp like the Clarion one you mentioned for just the 4-ways, and a 2 channel bridged for the sub? I realize that cost might be why you didn't recommend this but, again, I'm asking because I'm interested...

7. terdrocket

terdrocket Traitor SS

City, State:
      jax, fl
      TBSS
      I wouldn't waste my $$ on powering the rears. I would use any extra $$$ to upgrade the front to a set of components.

I don't run rear fill. I haven't run it and haven't missed it in this install.

8. BigBadWimp

BigBadWimp Active Member

City, State:
      Beaver Falls, PA
      '94 Sport
      So you're saying the rear speakers still aid in the quality of music even though they're being powered less?

9. terdrocket

terdrocket Traitor SS

City, State:
      jax, fl
      TBSS
      They can add some fill and give the illusion of a larger stage. (When delayed via a sound processor, it can add a "depth" to the sound.) It can help a 5' x 8' car interior feel much larger.
      It has never done much for me. I'm 6'4" and have my seat all the way back. The rear speakers are in the front of the rear door and therefore almost right below my ears. This messes with the focus my front stage creates. (I have a sound processor that "aims" the speakers. With it aimed where I like it, the vocals feel like they come from just beyond the rearview mirror.)

10. BigBadWimp

BigBadWimp Active Member

City, State:
      Beaver Falls, PA
      '94 Sport
      Thanks so much for your help and patience with all my questions... The items you listed are ones you'd recommend, then? I was already looking at that Infinity sub...

11. superedge88

superedge88 Active Member

City, State:
      Minnesota
      99 Mountaineer 5.0L
      Alpine Type E is a strikingly similar sub that I absolutely love! Very accurate, efficient, and doesn't take much power at all.

12. huskyfan23

huskyfan23 Rah no Hans Bwix

City, State:
      WA
      1994 XLT 4x4
      Phoenix Gold X12D4.

13. BigBadWimp

BigBadWimp Active Member

City, State:
      Beaver Falls, PA
      '94 Sport
      That Alpine sub says it has a kevlar treated pulp cone, isn't that basically paper? Besides, it's frequency response starts at 30Hz which is where my 4-ways start already. I'd rather have the Infinity that starts at 25Hz (and I know I would be putting high pass filters to the 4-ways so that they'd never see 30Hz again but still, the Infinity would give me a little more range). And that Phoenix Gold one is a little too expensive for my tastes.

14. terdrocket

terdrocket Traitor SS

City, State:
      jax, fl
      TBSS

Upgrade the amp if you have more cash to spend. Upgrade the front speakers to components if you have even more. That Infinity sub, or the Apline recommended, or an MTX should do you well.

Online Car Stereo
      Saving Lots
      The Zeb

These places have cheap prices.

15. terdrocket

terdrocket Traitor SS

City, State:
      jax, fl
      TBSS

Your door speakers can never produce 30hz at an audible level without some nasty distortion.

16. BigBadWimp

BigBadWimp Active Member

City, State:
      Beaver Falls, PA
      '94 Sport
      I'll be keeping the speakers I already have since they're not even a year old.

I sorta knew my door speakers weren't getting down to 30Hz but a sub that gets down to 25Hz as opposed to 30Hz will still sound better, right?

17. terdrocket

terdrocket Traitor SS

City, State:
      jax, fl
      TBSS
      You probably won't be able to notice between the two.

18. wantedexplorer

wantedexplorer Active Member

City, State:
      Jay, Maine
      96 Eddie Bauer V8
      i love mine to, i have 4 in a sealed box, running off 2 Alpine V12 mono block amps, 350 RMS each at 2 ohms. lots more involved tho ;)

but they sound great and take a hell of a beating ive put 600 RMS to these DAILY for 4 months and they took it all day long no problems! there rated at a 140 rms? if i remember rite. they are a GREAT sub.

19. superedge88

City, State:
      Minnesota
      99 Mountaineer 5.0L
      Exactly, and BigBadWimp have you ever heard a 30 hertz bass tone? It is almost inaudible. Don't get hung up on frequency response. The human ear is not a perfect instrument. Most bass in music ranges from around 50 hertz up to around 100 hertz, this is because this is an easy range for the human ear to hear.

20. superedge88

City, State:
      Minnesota
      99 Mountaineer 5.0L
      They are an incredible budget sub, and the type S is basically a type E with dual voice coils and a slightly improved cone (not that it needed much improvement in the first place.)