• Register Today It's free!

A true WTF moment this morning.

Gabe96Explorer

Reaction score
City, State
DIRTAY NEW JERSAY
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Explorer 4x4 Sport
I back out of my drive way, with my 4.0 OHV...

Get on the street. Put in the drive, start rolling forward, prolly at about 10-15mph... truck loses power, no sputtering, bucking or any of that nosense.

After about one-two seconds of rolling with no power, the power comes back and everything is good.

It's done this occasionally for me before, but has never been an issue and only occurs after I let the truck sit over night...

Do you think this is a vacuum issue or what? I'm freakin STUMPED.

Its nothing like I had before, the trucks power just flat out flat lines... then it comes back like nothing happened. LOL???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How many miles on vehicle? How much gas in tank? Do you ever let it sit and run for a few seconds before driving? Ever replaced the fuel pump? Check engine light ever come on?

By loss of power do you mean electrical or engine power?

I suspect the engine was still idling/running but you just lost the "traction" to the wheels?
That would be a transmission problem, probably related to cold transmission fluid and a clogged passage, maybe even the internal filter.
Or you just lost the electrical power?

Were you "on the throttle", or was it just idling? If the latter, try cleaning the IAC.

Is the RPMs rising with no "power" to the wheels? Once we get this info we can help you a whole lot more :)

Sounds like an electrical issue.
Are all your battery cables tight? (starter and frame ground connections too)
Is your battery in good shape? I once had a battery post that completely fell off from internal corrosion. From the outside, it looked fine.

...I had a similar problem on my 95 Ranger...

...I narrowed it down to happening during or after a turn which let me know it had to be an electrical short...Turned out the solenoid purge valve wiring was hitting the battery tray and got a cut so everytime it would hit the tray I guess it would short the computer which killed all power until it no longer touched just like hitting a switch..

..:dunno:

Not electrical. No CEL's when it happens. IAC is brand new.

Truck runs.. accelerating, then stops accelerating... then starts accelerating.. no bucking or anything... I guess you could say it loses power to the wheels, but it just fades out, then comes back like nothing happened. It really makes me LOL.

like when your computer is running... then it freezes... you go WTF... then it goes back to working...

Trans does need to be flushed. I plan on doing a full hot flush with a machine. Close to 200k miles.

Electrical Systems are working 100% during the entire event.

Sounds like a Mass air flow issue. I would clean it and verify its plugged in good.

IF you can get it to happen at some frequency, you might want try and monitor some of your "live data" to view things like trims, rpm, etc. just see if there are any "unusuals" during an "episode". IF your engine is dropping in rpm, my guess its fuelling issue. IF the RPM's remain or increase, then its more likely a transmission issue.... neither of which will cause codes in most cases.

did you ever track this down my 96 5.0 just stated doing the same thing
RPMs drop no idiot lights acts just like you stalled but just as fast it comes right back on..very weird problem did it to me today driving down the road you could fell it just lose power no response to the throttle then back to full power like nothing ever happened !
did it to the wife 2 times last week I thought she was nuts well today it did it to me

did you ever track this down my 96 5.0 just stated doing the same thing
RPMs drop no idiot lights acts just like you stalled but just as fast it comes right back on..very weird problem did it to me today driving down the road you could fell it just lose power no response to the throttle then back to full power like nothing ever happened !
did it to the wife 2 times last week I thought she was nuts well today it did it to me

I have not had time... I am in the midst of tracking it down though.

My problem is so intermitent I am not sure if I solved it or not,but I cleaned the MAF and also cleaned the IAC it was carboned and sticking
also found that if I touched the fuel pump relay the explorer would stutter and almost shut off,I removed the relay cleaned the receptical and the plug pins on the relay and reinstalled it so far problem has not reappeared
Hope it was the relay connections

been a few days since I did my repairs,have not had the loss of throtle response happen again
also since cleaning the MAF and IAC idle seems to have slowed a little and transmission seems to be shifting sooner and smother
according to the message center my milage has increased 2mpg
I also had a CEL for the frt passanger side o2 sensor since cleaning the MAF & IAC the CEL has went off

Back