A4LD Governor Replacement | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A4LD Governor Replacement

So which one of those part numbers is for explorers? Or are they even the same?

I only ask because when I go about replacing mine I don't want to have to take it out to see which one I need, and then have to wait for parts.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have this problem also (won't shift under acceleration). I notice some transmission fluid on the bottom of the tranny pan. My truck is a 2000 model 4X4 with 83k on it. The dealer said that they just had the transmission rebuilt. I took the truck back to the dealer and they kept it a week and it was doing the same thing when I got it back. Could the fluid leak and shift problem be related? My transmission is the 5R55E.

When I rebuilt my 94 A4LD, I was told to make absolutely certain that all the governor parts move smoothly. I spent a couple minutes very carefully smoothing the parts with some crokus cloth.

If I was to take the governor out, would it help with racing and faster shifting?

will the governor cause problems if its warm?

I think I have a problem with my governor too. My transmission only slips when it is cold and just fired up. When the car is warm, it never does it. I'll put it into gear and it's like it slips out to neutral. Revving it get it to kick into gear again.

Once I'm up to about 20mph, I never have the issue, if it's still cold and I stop, it sometimes does it again, but once I'm warm, it's never does it.

My question is when replacing the governor, I see there is a spring, a valve, the valve body and the weight. Should I just replace all of these while I'm there?

I've looked for the parts on sonnax.com but it looks like they only have the weight. I also looked at the valve on the wittrans.com site, but they have a number of different valves on there. Do I have to take mine out to measure then order? Are they year specific?

Or am I way off, I have also been reading similar things happening with a bad vacuum modulator. Which should I try first?

As far as I know, a sticking governor won't cause "slipping". It will cause no 1-2 shift when it hangs.

When I bought a new governor years ago from a local trans shop I got the entire assembly, not just the weight and I didn't ask for anything special. I just told them I wanted to replace the governor and thats what they gave me.

~Mark

As far as I know, a sticking governor won't cause "slipping". It will cause no 1-2 shift when it hangs.

When I bought a new governor years ago from a local trans shop I got the entire assembly, not just the weight and I didn't ask for anything special. I just told them I wanted to replace the governor and thats what they gave me.

~Mark

Maybe "slipping" is the wrong word. It acts like it's in neutral in all the gears, reverse, od, d, 2 and 1. If I rev it up a little and back off, it drops into gear. Then when it's warm, doesn't do it again.

Anybody have an idea?

To me, that sound more like the servos and seals and not the governor.

Hopefully one of the real trans experts will chime in now..

~Mark

Maybe "slipping" is the wrong word. It acts like it's in neutral in all the gears, reverse, od, d, 2 and 1. If I rev it up a little and back off, it drops into gear. Then when it's warm, it doesn't do it again.
It sounds like it could have bad valve body gaskets. Connect a 0-300 PSI pressure gauge to get some cold-hot readings in all gear ranges.

It sounds like it could have bad valve body gaskets. Connect a 0-300 PSI pressure gauge to get some cold-hot readings in all gear ranges.

I'd have no idea how to do that, I guess I'll have to take it to the shop and have it looked at. Thanks!!!

Thanks for the information.jw42

Now im new to this to remove the extension housing do you have to drain the fluid in the transmission? (dumb i know just making sure)

IIRC, No, you don't need to remove the fluid.. But some fluid does leak out when your doing the work.

~Mark

k and mine is a 4x4 too so would that change anything?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nope.. Ours is too. . I just pulled the transfer case, pulled the governor and weight and put new ones in.. I don't remember lots of fluid coming out.. I do remember the transfer case being really stuck on since we use "right stuff" instead of a gasket between the case and the trans.

btw.. I didn't pull the tail housing.. I just reached through it.

~Mark

Back