A4LD Governor Replacement | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A4LD Governor Replacement

Hmm how labor intensive is this? and What if any special tools would i need?
Thanks, this is really helping me determine whats wrong with my explorer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

how much does a transfer case weigh? because i dont have a Transmission jack

Hey, how yall doin, I have a 1994 Ford Exploer wth two similar broblems.When the transmission is cold it hangs in first gear revvs up a little then shifts to second gear,and the transmission slips when Im driving,when I get to about 55 mph it slips till I go faster its fine.What do you think I should do to fix these broblems? I think I should clean the govenor and new transmission fluid with filter and hope the slippng goes away.Wonder if there is somthing else thats causing the slipping?

I know about the governor sticking no 1 to 2 hang up,My other problem Im having now is on take off and driving about around 25 30 mph it slipps, the back end of my truck shakes for a couple of seconds,and when i push a little harder on the gas too.What do you thank is going on with my Exploer so I can get this fixed thank you.

I can adjust the bands on the transmission without taking it out right.

so i have to use a inch lb torqe wrench why cant i use a ft lb torqe wrench to adjust the bands

Inch pounds are more accurate when it comes to something which is very sensitive. You could use a Ft/Lb torque wrench on lug nuts since it's not critical if it's a little off. Use an In/Lb torque wrench on bands, valve body bolts, and other sensitive parts.

Governor yes, but why and how

I read through as many posts as I can find on the governor. But I'm not clear on:

1. What is it that gets stuck or wears out?
2. Can one just expect to clean it and it is good to go?
3. I see it has a spring and weight and it functions based on centripetal force as the output shaft spins, but what is the net of the weight moving?....Meaning what does it accomplish? Is it opening a passage and letting fluid through which in turn creates the shift? If so is the passage what is getting clogged or is it the weight that seizes and does not move?

there is a round weight that gets stuck and wears the little shaft down due to heat and friction. I took a scotch pad and polished the shaft up. and yes as it spins it gets to a point where it opens up fluid to shift it into second. personally i think as long as you dont let the fluid wear out it shouldn't happen again for a while. regards,
Justin

there is a round weight that gets stuck and wears the little shaft down due to heat and friction. I took a scotch pad and polished the shaft up. and yes as it spins it gets to a point where it opens up fluid to shift it into second. personally i think as long as you dont let the fluid wear out it shouldn't happen again for a while. regards,
Justin
Is the governor not exposed to the trans fluid so that there is no lubrication for the weight and shaft? Perhaps coating it in high temp axle grease is the long term solution?

Ok, I took the plunge and pulled the governor. At first when it was still bolted in place I could see that the weight moved freely and I had that sinking feeling I just wasted a lot of time and effort. I removed the governor and of course the weight and spring just fell off as nothing holds it in place once it is unbolted from the trans. Still thinking it was for nothing, I then looked inside the governor to see if it was clean and to pull the piston out. It seemed relatively clean, but the piston was stuck. Eventually it came out.
We are all familiar with the metal paste that develops all over the surfaces inside the trans. Well it is this paste that had seized the piston.
I put the governor in a jar of gas and the clean gas turned into a paste cloud. Seems like clear design flaw that the natural debris will without question eventually jam the piston.

Ok, I took the plunge and pulled the governor. At first when it was still bolted in place I could see that the weight moved freely and I had that sinking feeling I just wasted a lot of time and effort. I removed the governor and of course the weight and spring just fell off as nothing holds it in place once it is unbolted from the trans. Still thinking it was for nothing, I then looked inside the governor to see if it was clean and to pull the piston out. It seemed relatively clean, but the piston was stuck. Eventually it came out.
We are all familiar with the metal paste that develops all over the surfaces inside the trans. Well it is this paste that had seized the piston.
I put the governor in a jar of gas and the clean gas turned into a paste cloud. Seems like clear design flaw that the natural debris will without question eventually jam the piston.
so you got it fixed then?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just put it back together and I have the rear wheels off the ground. Ran the thing with the rear wheels spinning and it shifted! Previously, no speed would result in that 1-2 shift.

I did find that cleaning the governor was not enough. I had to use fine steel wool on the aluminum pieces. After that the piston traveled smoothly. Added trans fluid and it was a beautiful thing.

FYI, Here is a picture of the parking pawl in place:
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/977354-rolls-away-in-park.html
When I pulled the tail housing the pawl just feel on the ground. So I had no idea where it went.

I also adjusted the bands. Next I'm draining the pan, torquing the valve body bolts, cleaning what I can and putting it back together. It ought work like new when done.

A side note, this vehicle has been parked for 10 years because of this trans. Back then I took it to a shop that was offering free trans inspections/diagnostics. They said it needed a rebuild. I knew better. Never found a trans shop yet that was honest.
In the end, I have spent nothing to fix this other than time and trans fluid.

Back