A4LD issues - Squealing coming from below the EX while in D, but none in N or P. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A4LD issues - Squealing coming from below the EX while in D, but none in N or P.

NinetyThree_Dd

Reaction score
City, State
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Explorer XLT
Title sums it up really.

I recently had my brother swap out the governor, totally fixed the hard 1-2 shift. But recently there's been a squeal that started off faint, but over the past 2 weeks it's gotten quite loud.

It's very loud while I've got it in DRIVE, with my foot on the brake (at a stop-light for example), but when it's in neutral the noise either quiets or goes away.

I'm hoping it's something I can fix without having to get my mechanic brother involved. I already owe him money.

Any help or insight would be awesome.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not so much a "grinding" more like as if my trans had it's own worn-out serpentine belt. And yeah, I've checked the belt several times. Even ran the engine a few seconds without the belt engaged.

Is the fluid full?

What color is the fluid? What does it smell like?

Fluid is good, right where it needs to be. No foul odor I can smell.

I'm wondering if it has anything to do with pressure plates, clutches, bands, solenoids, etc.

Mine blew up the OD section, and then I started having regulator problems. I kept driving it and finally the torque converter went. That sound in my clip is what I assume a trashed torque converter or pump sounds like. It drove with no OD, no 1-2 shift when cold, and that sound for 3-4 months if I recall correctly. :D

Unfortunately I don't have much to add to your case, if the sound you have isn't what I had.

Does it have any noticeable shifting issues or anything?

Embarrassingly enough. It was the muffler's heat shield. I didn't notice it right away because one of the top-side fold-over tabs had somehow been bent back over the years, causing the shield to shake loose. Also the holy portion of the shield was rubbing against the surface of the muffler where the tiny drilled hole is at. So every time the muffler would "puff" the heat shield made that terrible shriek.

The EX is still running strong.

Thanks for your time.

Back