A4LD/M5OD separator/ spacer plate

mr cribb

US Army Retired
Reaction score
City, State
Naylor, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Z71, 89 stepside
I am collecting parts for my transmission swap, and my question is, what are the thickness differences between the automatic and manual transmission spacer plates on the first generation Explorers?

I searched about every way I know how to word it, and can’t find what I’m looking for.

Can I modify my existing automatic spacer plate to offset whatever difference there is? I’m asking this on the chance I cannot find the correct spacer plate.

I think I saw something that said the starter hole is larger for the manual plate, but I’m not sure.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your going to want to get the right plate for the swap. They are the same thickness, but shaped differently.
Starter hole is way different, but so is a lot of it.

Manual on top.

4 oh spacer plates 1.jpg

4 oh spacer plates 2.jpg

Whatever you do, do not go without the proper spacer plate, or it can end in disaster.

Your going to want to get the right plate for the swap. They are the same thickness, but shaped differently.
Starter hole is way different, but so is a lot of it.

Manual on top.

View attachment 167712

View attachment 167713

Whatever you do, do not go without the proper spacer plate, or it can end in disaster.

Ok that certainly helps visually, I thank you for that.

Do you know if the manual ones were the same on the second generation? I might be able to get one just up the road from me if they are, otherwise I’m stuck driving three hours one way to another junkyard.

Should be the same, as the bell housing's and bolt patterns are identical on all 4.0L's

I think you can buy them new on Ebay as well. 6 hours of fuel, vs cost of new, seems like new would be cheaper.

I did look on eBay, but only found one for a 96 automatic. I also looked on Bronco graveyard, Tom Morana, as well as various other forms of wording on google.

Anyone have a part number I could try to look up? I tried searching the ford online part catalog, and parts a pretty limited under the manual side of things, with most of them being discontinued. I also tried advance adapters, and many other transmission parts outlets.

This might be a junkyard part after all.

Back