• Register Today It's free!

A4LD overdrive shift symptoms.

eemer600

Reaction score
City, State
Idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Aerostar
I have two Aerostars. One is a 1997 AWD to which this post does not apply. I also have a 1992 2WD for which this post was written.

I searched and searched and could not find anything that matches these symptoms. It may be something as simple as a blown fuse, or shorted wiring or both. I am wanting to know if these symptoms are caused by a solenoid, or if they are more serious. I have seen posts about changing the overdrive (4th speed) solenoid, and wonder if the purpose is to correct the below symptoms.

• Starting from stop, no output in overdrive shifter position
  • Starting from stop, normal operation and shifting in Drive.
  • At speed of 45MPH, shift to overdrive and OD works as normal
  • When attempting throttle downshift, transmission goes into neutral condition.
  • When lowering in speed below 35 transmission goes into neutral condition
  • moving shift lever down to drive reengages transmission, as long as throttle is not depressed.
  • Normal operation is achieved with drive and overdrive if the operator changes the gear shift between drive and overdrive at appropriate speeds.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry about the confusion. My other Aerostar is a 1992 2WD. It has the A4LD transmission in it. The A4LD is molded into the transmission bottom cover, so it makes it unmistakable.

It also has a modulator, which I have already changed when I drained the transmissionl cleaned the magnet and refilled. The tubing to the modulator was clean and clear. So I doubt the modulator had failed, but I changed it anyway. The shifting from 1 to 2o to 3 is fine, and even the OD and torque converter lockup work fine, except you have to be going over 45, and then move the shifter to OD.

Check the Z link to see if it's bent, and the opening on the manual index slide valve. That hole might be worn with an egg shaped opening. There is a repair kit for this which slips over the opening. Could you include both year Aerostars in your profile?

I know this is an old post,but sounds like the OD sprag has failed. Very common only problem is transmission has to come out to be repaired. Hope this helps if you haven't found a solution.

Back