Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

A4LD swap with 4R44E

Discussion in 'Transmissions & Transfer Cases' started by Chrisman889, August 9, 2016.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Chrisman889

Chrisman889 Active Member

City, State:
    Gypsum, KS
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1993 Ford Explorer xlt
    Can I put a 4R44E transmission in a 93 Explorer to replace the A4LD that's in there? Thanks

2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. FPGT24

FPGT24 Eat, sleep, breathe Explorers

City, State:
    Taneytown, MD
    1997 Ford Explorer XLT
    I believe you meant to say the 4R55E, not the 4R44E. The 4R55E was used in all 95-96 4.0 V6 Explorers, while the 4R44E was used in the 2.3L & 3.0L Rangers.

In short, to answer your question, no, you cannot just swap a 4R55E right in. the A4LD is a mechanical transmission. the 4R55E (also called A4LD-E) is an electronic transmission. the 4R55E is an A4LD with electronic shifting added. The work involved in this swap would be very intense and very costly, even for a very experienced mechanic. It is feasible, and it's been done (there is a thread write up some where on here of someone swapping a 5R55E into a 1st gen), but I doubt that since you didn't know they aren't easily swappable that you would be willing to take on changing out wiring harnesses, adding a PCM, changing bell housings, and a shitload of other stuff. It'd be better just to get a rebuilt A4LD than to go thru this BS.

Last edited: August 10, 2016
  4. Chrisman889

Chrisman889 Active Member

City, State:
    Gypsum, KS
    1993 Ford Explorer xlt
    That's what I kind of figured. Thanks

5. FPGT24

FPGT24 Eat, sleep, breathe Explorers

City, State:
    Taneytown, MD
    1997 Ford Explorer XLT
    No problem! If you need an A4LD, last time I checked a few months ago there is some guy on Ebay that fully rebuilds them and sells them for like $900 so you might want to check that out.