• Register Today It's free!

A4ld to M50D Swap

fon440

Reaction score
City, State
Drexel Hill, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Explorer XLT
Hello All in Ex nation, I am about to do the swap as per 94fourdoor. '93 to a '94. Now I am also going to the manual transfer case, so in addition to 94fourdoor directions is their anything I should be aware of in regards to ditching the ATC (Automatic transfer case) for the MTC (manual transfer case). Of coarse I want everything to work as it should.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Manual tcase swap is very basic and straightforward. So easy even I was able to do it. ;)
Just be sure to have all the shift linkage parts to go with the case, especially the one big bolt that attaches the linkage to the side of the case. Also get the floor plate for the transmission, and the shifter boot, both are specific for the manual.

It bolts right in. You'll have to cut the hole for the shifter or grab the trans floor cover from a parts vehicle. I didn't wire my 4x4 lights as I didn't want them. It's been a long time and can't remember if it's plug and play or you have to splice wires. Either way it wouldn't be too difficult.

Manual tcase swap is very basic and straightforward. So easy even I was able to do it. ;)
Just be sure to have all the shift linkage parts to go with the case, especially the one big bolt that attaches the linkage to the side of the case. Also get the floor plate for the transmission, and the shifter boot, both are specific for the manual.
Thanks! Should be covered with the donor.

It bolts right in. You'll have to cut the hole for the shifter or grab the trans floor cover from a parts vehicle. I didn't wire my 4x4 lights as I didn't want them. It's been a long time and can't remember if it's plug and play or you have to splice wires. Either way it wouldn't be too difficult.
Thanks! If needed basic wiring shouldn't be an issue.

Brian1's Twin Trail Build (Lift, Gears, TTB Mods, Bumpers, Sliders, Cage & More!)

Took some time today to remove the electric shift harness and computer and then stripped it down and modified it to get my dash 4x4 lights to work properly. The Ranger harness is different so I had to make my own instead of just getting the donor Explorer harness. The lights are turned on by a ground signal and are run through the shift computer which means the harness has to be chopped and modified. I have never seen a write-up on adapting the e-shift harness to the manual for working dash lights but here is basically what I did.

Remove driver seat to get to the plug through the floor. Disconnect gray connector under center of dash and remove entire harness. Cut the shift motor plug off and remove all the electrical tape.

Remove red piece in grey connector with needle nose pliers to access the pins. Use a small pick to pry back the lock tabs and remove all but the 2 wires you can see in a photo below. Reinsert the red divider.

View attachment 158179

View attachment 158180

Cut and splice them to the wires going through the rubber plug. An off-white one and a brown with white stripe. Cut all the extra wires off too, you don't need them. I left 3 wire pigtails for future use since it is a nice pass through grommet.

View attachment 158182

My ranger case had 2 blue wires to the shift indicator. I spliced the solid color wires to each other and the wires with stripes to each other which got me the correct lights working. Test first!

View attachment 158183

I wrapped the in cab harness with electrical tape including the tabs for the mounting screws and the underside with loom and then tape.

View attachment 158184

The leftover trash pile not including the shift computer and most of the big harness to it which I pulled out later.

View attachment 158185

I found this

Back