a4ld tranny won't 1-2 shift. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

a4ld tranny won't 1-2 shift.

Okay,
Got around to fixing it yesterday. Very busy since the holidays, grad school, family, yada, yada, yada...

Anyway, the issue was the governor. It was froze up solid. I know during the rebuild I addressed this area and even installed the corrective spring that comes in the rebuild kits. I don't know how this occured, but after about 30 min with a scotchbrite pad, it was operating smooth again. It seemed like the piston part had a slight taper to it, which was causing it to bind.

Time to put some miles on this rebuild, it's been almost 3 years since this truck was driven.

I've started another rebuild on a 94 a4ld tranny. Ordering parts on monday....

Brett

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

BrooklynBay said:
They have a Sonnax upgrade for that governor, part # 56615-35 35 mm if you are interested. It cost $4.46 as an average price.

Yes, that is for the weight. The problem I had was with the actual housing and the small piston inside of the housing.

Brett

The governor housing is available separately. It is under $10. Brett I agree with you, they do appear to taper and that is why I am going to go back and recommend a new housing (I think that's the term, whatever it is I will post it and the part No. back in the A4LD diary) on any rebuilt. Plus the weight and the Transgo return spring. You have illustrated perfectly why "good enough" often ain't "good enough" on this transmission.

No 1-2 shift

Well, after putting up with the bad 1-2 shift for the last several months, I finally pulled the pan last nite, thinking it would be a stuck valve or a gasket blowout in the VB. No such luck. In the bottom of the pan was the intermediate strut and the end of the band. Clean broke off :mad: So now I gotta pull the whole %$$#%^ thing out. The suprising thing is that it continued to shift into higher gears and seemed to run just fine. Everything inside looks real clean. The only clue is that the kids were driving it the week before this happened, but I'm sure they had nothing to do with it :D

All,
I know this is an old thread, but I have a slightly different problem with the 1-2 shift...it doesn't.
In drive, it will shift from 1-3 when I get up to RPM and let off the accelerator. It then shifts on through normally up to OD.
If I manually select 2, it's as if it's in neutral - no RPM increase/speed decrease at all. I have tried this both with acceleration/deceleration. When decelerating from about 45mph, the engine will simply fall to an idle with no reduction in speed. If I further shift down to 1, the normal RPM increase/speed decrease occurs.
So far, I've checked fluid levels, vacuum lines, and electrical plugs. This is a rebuild with low miles on it and has been taken in for adjustments after the initial break-in on the rebuild.
Any ideas on what to check next? I am a novice with auto-trans...
Thanks in advance!

Unfortunately, I'm not sure what was adjusted. It was working and was being used daily for many months and then set up for almost a year without driving it. This is the state I found it in.
I'm not sure about the modulater. I will check it and see. If so, is this something I can check/adjust without special tools?
Thanks again!

Some modulators have a small recessed set screw, and others have an external adjustment knob. The one with the external knob is adjustable. The other one with the recessed screw is adjustable, but it was factory preset, so it might not need to be adjusted. This is why they make it difficult to adjust.

More than likely a intermediate band issue as it is your 2nd gear. Could need adjusted, or torn servo piston maybe broken band. Try adjusting the band first as it is on the outside of trans and easy to do. Many write ups on this site for the proper procedure. Good luck

Back