Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Aarg, I think I messed up

Discussion in 'Explorer Audio & Navigation' started by zekex2, September 22, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. zekex2

zekex2 Active Member

City, State:
      CA
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      98 XLT 5.0 L AWD
      HI Howdy, I pulled my factory cd player out to look for a short in the wiring (due to the previous owners ripping his after market system out and leaving a lot of hot shorts for me to deal with. thanks a lot). Anyways, when I put it back in, the unit is dead, no clock display, no radio, no anything. I pushed the clk button and could set the clock, but after that the display just faded out. A sales guy at Best Buy said he thought that the anti-theft might have a disabling feature to keep it from being usable if some one rips it off. Anybody know about this? Supposedly I need some sort of code to enter on the number pad to reactivate it.. I would appreciate some insite to this. thanxs

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. pband599

pband599 New Member

City, State:
      Apopka, FL
      99 Blue Base
      Sorry about the code thing, but I would just go buy a new better more powerful HU.

Oh well...

4. davesexplorer

davesexplorer Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Central PA
      2001 F350 7.3
      I ddn't think you had to enter a code for it. I'd say try checking all the wires again, as for the code, you may need to call ford. When i installed a HU in my friends cavalier, the stock one needed a code to work right, but that didn't matter, we were puttin in somethin better

5. LudusHatesReese

LudusHatesReese Active Member

City, State:
      Pearland, Texas
      '91 Sport 4.0L
      I know on most GM vehicles there is a code you have to enter if you want to reinstall a factory stereo, so I imagine the boys at Ford would do something similar. If you want to keep it, you could go to the dealership and see if they can look it up for your X. But, since generally factory HUs suck, and yours has obviosly been the victim of abuse, I'd go get something new from Best Buy.

6. zekex2

zekex2 Active Member

City, State:
      CA
      98 XLT 5.0 L AWD
      fixed it

I finally got out the haynes book and looked at the wiring diagram and my meter. I saw that there wasn't any power from the Acc. or run position on the ignition. So I decided to back feed the run / acc. wire (y/bk) i think it was, by jumbering form the canstant power supply wire (power for clock and to maintain presets). When I did this I hread a relay click form under the dah I think , and I felt one click in the radio as I was holdig ir. There it is it;s back in commision. As a side point I discovered that I had also lost my door auto lock that engaged when you put the car in gear. This also reactivated when I back fed the wire. So much for Ford radioAnti -Theft if thats even what the problem was.