ABS B1342 Code Help

FarmLife2019

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLS 4WD
'09 XLT 4WD
I have a 2009 XLT 4.0L V6 SOHC 4WD that my wife uses as her daily driver. She came home one day and parked after her commute with no issues; however, when we cranked the next morning the dash immediately lit up like a Christmas tree and alarms started sounding. The ABS, emergency brake, and traction control lights are illuminated on the dash and cannot be cleared by a code reader. Additionally, the odometer section intermittently flashes "CHECK BRAKE SYSTEM" and "SERVICE RSC NOW". I have scanned the the ABS system for codes and came back with a ODDTC of B1342 and a CMDTC of B1342-E0. From the details the seems to point to an internal memory problem within the computer. Photos of the code reader results are attached. Has anyone else experienced this or heard of a solution? Do I need to plan on having the computer replaced or do I have a visit to the dealership in my future?

I have done a fair amount of research, but have not found anything that points to the same code I am getting. Also, saw where some other owners were having irregular voltage cause the computer to throw improper codes which pointed to systems that were not actually problematic. Recently confirmed that the wheel speed sensors and tone rings are not an issue and functioning properly. Other than the annoying lights and super distracting chime that goes off about every 7 minutes it drives fine and does not seem to display any unusual symptoms. Any advice or insight would be appreciated.

IMG_0744.JPG

IMG_0745.JPG

IMG_0746.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The error mentions a "Trip Reset Switch Failure". This switch can be used to enter diagnostics mode if you hold it down while turning ON the Key switch. If the switch is faulty / shorted etc, it may interrupt the normal boot up of the ECU.
I would check that first. I have used that method many times to read hidden dtcs as well as access settings.
Good luck.

How old is the battery? If you've had some low temps in your area recently the battery could be on its way out. Weak battery will sometimes throw weird codes and cause dash warning lights to come on randomly just before it dies altogether. That's been my experience anyway.

How old is the battery? If you've had some low temps in your area recently the battery could be on its way out. Weak battery will sometimes throw weird codes and cause dash warning lights to come on randomly just before it dies altogether. That's been my experience anyway.

Not sure on the exact age of the battery as it was in there when we bought the Explorer used (and the date was not recorded on top). That said, I had it tested at the local parts store and it came back good (actually had 10 more CCA than the specs). We have not had that many cold nights here in the Southeast, but the wife parks in the garage so should not be that much of a factor. Always starts strong quickly.

The error mentions a "Trip Reset Switch Failure". This switch can be used to enter diagnostics mode if you hold it down while turning ON the Key switch. If the switch is faulty / shorted etc, it may interrupt the normal boot up of the ECU.
I would check that first. I have used that method many times to read hidden dtcs as well as access settings.
Good luck.

CharlieK9, thanks for the information. You are referring to the trip selector switch on the instrument cluster that is used to scroll through odometer information, correct? I held it down while turning on the ignition switch, but did not get anything different once the lights and accessories powered on. Is there a certain amount of time or procedure to follow to get to the diagnostic mode?

CharlieK9, thanks for the information. You are referring to the trip selector switch on the instrument cluster that is used to scroll through odometer information, correct? I held it down while turning on the ignition switch, but did not get anything different once the lights and accessories powered on. Is there a certain amount of time or procedure to follow to get to the diagnostic mode?
UPDATE: I was able to access the Engineer's Testing Menu and retrieved a continuous DTC of $D900. Seems to point to a generic communication error/issue. Anyone ever had this same type of thing happen?

UPDATE: I was able to access the Engineer's Testing Menu and retrieved a continuous DTC of $D900. Seems to point to a generic communication error/issue. Anyone ever had this same type of thing happen?

Got some additional codes pulled yesterday from a friend/mechanic. Ended up with B1316 pointing toward the battery saver relay coil short to ground. After researching the web and looking at my owner's manual I have been unable to find the location of the battery saver relay. Anyone know where this is?

Also got a U1900 ABS CAN Communication BUS fault error code. It seems like most of these issues are pointing back to a common electrical fault or ground.

Did you ever figure this out?

Hello,
I have the same problem.
code b1342.
I changed the battery, checked the connectors and changed the brake pads.
Does anyone recommend a website for selling used parts? I live in Brazil and here we do not find replacement parts for the vehicle.
I believe that I will need to buy an "ECU"!

Back