• Register Today It's free!

abs sensor or bad wheel bearing?

dmac0923

Reaction score
City, State
Yorktown
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 ranger xlt
lately on my truck ive noticed the ABS kicking in when coming to a stop with the wheels turned to the right. this is only at low speeds like if you were to make a right turn into a parking spot. Just as the truck is about to come to a complete stop the brake pedal pulses and i feel the abs kicking in kinda like the feeling if you were to try and stop on a patch of ice.

so far i can only get it to happen when turning right.

there are no check engine lights or abs lights on.

i was thinking it might be a wheel sensor acting up, but those are usually good or bad right? the other thing i was thinking was maybe a wheel bearing on its way out causing the magnetic pick up to give the wheel sensor a bad reading??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Fixed update

Turns out it was a bad front left wheel hub assembly

Finally someone else describing my issue! I'm guessing mine is just the opposite side. I already replaced the sensor.

Finally someone else describing my issue! I'm guessing mine is just the opposite side. I already replaced the sensor.

Is replacing the sensors easy? No need for special tools?

I believe so. The son in law did it in the driveway pretty quickly. ;)

Is replacing the sensors easy? No need for special tools?

The 2WD front ABS sensors are easy to change, but they also get dirty, so first try to clean them. The AWD/4WD sensors are internal to the hubs, so they never get dirty, but usually only fail from a bad bearing that takes it out too.

Back