ABS system replacement w/ proportioning valve? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ABS system replacement w/ proportioning valve?

SeanConnery

Reaction score
City, State
Bellvue
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993, Explorer, XLT
'93 Explorer XLT. Replaced the master cylinder and brake booster, and pedal goes to the floor. No leaks, no fluid lost. I suspect the bypass valve in the ABS pump is bad. (?) No way to determine. Can I just replace the ABS system with a normal proportioning valve and have a non-ABS system operate on this truck? If so, what proportioning valve would have the right fittings?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you bench bleed the master cylinder before installing it?

Did you bench bleed the master cylinder before installing it?
Yes, of course. I swapped the (new) master cylinder for another new master cylinder, and that seemed to fix the problem.
Thanks.

So it is okay now? I ask because I have my old 93 ABS stored someplace. Doing away with the ABS would be as simple as using 91/92 Explorer lines etc. I don't know if the master cylinder would be different for those.

It works fine now, so I don't need anything else. Thanks for your input!
(I need to figure out how to delete this post.....)

Very good, I hope it keeps working for many years. I can delete my posts, I believe any member with Elite membership($20) can do it. You should be able to edit your posts for a short while after making a post.

Back