1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

ABS tone ring replacement - who did it himself ?

Discussion in 'Stock 2006 -2010 Explorers' started by Explorer_PL, August 2, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Explorer_PL

Explorer_PL Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Rockland County, NY
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    06EB V8 & 07EB V6
    Ok, so I found that my ABS/Traction light is most likely caused by cracked ABS ring. I went under the car again, rotated the rear tires, and the right rear ring is cracked about 1/8 of an inch, and you can see it.

So I got the ring from the dealer for $ 25, and I guess I'll be busy this weekend. I know how to get to it since I already replaced the rear bearing, so I know how to get everything off: brakes, knuckle and so on. Once I have the axle hanging from the pumpkin, do I need to pull it out ? Also, how do you slide the new ring on ? And how do you know how far ? I read that someone actualy put the ring in the oven, heated it up so it expanded and then slid it on the axle - not bad idea.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. sidney12345

sidney12345 New Member

City, State:
    CBS, Newfoundland
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2006 explorer,2009 Jetta
    You will need to clean any rust from the axle and heat the tone ring to install. I have used a small propane torch but a portable hot plate works best

We Support Our Troops!