Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

AC Clutch noise when turned OFF

Discussion in 'A/C & Heater systems - HVAC' started by skeeter123, July 22, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^
  1. skeeter123

skeeter123 Active Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2002 XLT 4.6L
    AC system just started to make this grinding, winding-down noise when I turn off the engine. No abnormal noises when running/engaged.

I have a 2002 Explorer V8, leave it set to Max-AC (fan on low) almost 100% of the time, for past 9 years. (170K miles, no AC probs other than blend-door issues). A few days ago, I pulled into the driveway, and when I turned off the engine, there was a 5-6 second noise as something 'wound down' to a complete stop. Some simple tests narrowed it down to the AC compressor. With engine idling, turn on AC, compressor/clutch activates normally, I can see the clutch engage/rotate, AC works just fine. But when the AC is turned off (either by AC control, or by turning off the ignition), I can see the clutch plate slowing down (not stopping immediately), accompanied by the grinding noise. The clutch plate takes about 5-6 seconds to slow to a stop. I expected the clutch plate to stop right away, but maybe I just never noticed it "coasting" to a stop since it never made this noise before. I've searched this forum, didn't see any problem like this discussed. Anyone know what causes this? I plan to check the clutch gap, maybe take off the clutch plate and see if changing the shims could solve this. Is this a common wear problem at this age/mileage? I would think that if the clutch was worn down there would be more clearance, less likelyhood of rubbing against something its not supposed to. And this wasn't a gradual thing, it started with a loud noise and continues to do it. Any advice is appreciated.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. skeeter123

skeeter123 Active Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2002 XLT 4.6L
    OK, so I got a bottle of R-134 and tested the low-side pressure (with the built-in gauge), it was a little low according to the scale on the bottle's gauge. Note this is the first time it's ever been checked/re-charged in it's 170K life. I charged it from the bottle, it took about 1/2, maybe 9 oz (it's hard to judge just holding/shaking the bottle). Measured the temp, system puts out 47-deg AC when its 87-deg outside, seems OK to me. But it still makes that winding-down noise, like one of those wheel-of-fortune's at the county fair, winding down to a stop in 5-6 seconds. AC works, but I have a bad feeling about this noise, it never did it before, doesn't sound like its going to last. I want to figure this out before it dies, I suspect the clutch, but the clutch "works" when its on, just makes noise when it's turned off. Also, if I turn it on for only a few seconds, it doesn't make the noise; if it runs (clutch engaged) for 20 seconds or more, then it'll make that noise when turned off. I have no AC experience obviously, any help would be appreciated.

We Support Our Troops!