AC Compressor clutch issues. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

AC Compressor clutch issues.

MattX014

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 sport trac
My AC compressor belt spinning the compressor seems to engage and disengage every 10 or 15 seconds whether is is on or of..

So I am assuming that it is a problem with the clutch. I know that this is probably not be a sport trac specific issue and I will go elsewhere to find the answer but this was my first stop. I'm sure it's a generic problem with AC compressors but any help would be great. I attached this video of the issue.

Thanks alot.
-Matt

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The compressor is supposed to click on and off at regular intervals. As far as "the A/C being off" the A/C compressor will kick in in ALL settings except VENT and FLOOR. Read your owner's manual.

It is just on VENT and the air compressor. Same with FLOOR. First 15 seconds of video. Thanks so much, super helpful.

Thanks alot! couldnt come up with that post for whatever reason.... I'll do my best to figure it out. I'll be back if i dont figure it out!

If your compressor is running when it should be off, my first thought is that maybe the A/C relay is stuck ON. Try swapping it with another relay in the power distribution box. The HI/LO pressure switches shouldn't have anything to do with it. My second thought is that it might be a problem with the selection switch.

I'm not an A/C expert, but my guess is low pressure in the system...

Back