Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

AC Compressor intentionally releasing Refrigerant?

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by djsky717, October 18, 2019.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. djsky717

djsky717 New Member

City, State:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    '05 Ford Explorer XLS 2WD
    Yesterday I heard a quick and strange noise after pressing the AC button while cruising.

When I got home and opened the hood, I noticed the back of compressor and hood underside was coated with refrigerant. Then out of curiosity I turned on the AC again and it was ice cold and ran fine.

Now, I normally turn on the AC while idling, but in this incident I did something different which was turning it on while cruising (~2,000 rpm or so).

So my guess is the high-side pressure had probably spiked when the compressor was engaged at a higher rpm, therefore causing the pressure relief valve to activate.

Has something like this happened to you guys?

BTW, I hook up the AC gauges and while idling I'm reading 35 psi low-side and 200 psi high-side at 85F ambient temp, so those numbers are within spec.

2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.