Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

AC Problem

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by mrv568, July 4, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. mrv568

mrv568 New Member

City, State:
      WS, North Carolina
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      05 Linc Aviator,03 Mounty
      I have a 2005 Lincoln Aviator that the local Ford Dealer has replaced the AC compressor twice now on. The problem is it will get down to 45 degrees or so while driving down the highway (I am fine with this) in town side streets slow moving 50-53 degrees when vehicle sits at idle for 5-10 minutes the temp goes up to 62-65 degrees. (outside temp is 90 degrees) I have taken it back to the Ford Dealer twice now and they tell me this is normal... This vehicle has always had Ice Cold Air all the time until they replaced the original compressor a year ago. The temps listed above are with the AC on MAX and fan on high Dual zone cut off and digital temp control set to 60 degrees (the recirculate button is ON) If it makes any difference the temps do not change if the rear air is on or off. The digital ac thermometer is in the center vent closest to the driver.
      I did go buy some ac gauges and hooked them up. At idle low side pressure is 32 psi and the high side pressure is at 280psi (temp outside was 90 degrees) When I rev up the engine to about 1500-1800 rpm the low side pressure drops to 20 psi and the high side pressure goes up to 350 psi.
      Any Ideas here? This car heads to the beach in a couple of weeks...

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. matt0248

matt0248 Active Member

City, State:
      Chicago
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      02 XLT V8
      Does it work well then get worse the longer the AC runs? The low side pressures seem a little too low. Maybe the evaporator is freezing up. Try running your test again with the recirc off to see what happens. Also, make sure the condensor and radiator fins are not plugged with crap.