Acceleration Issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Acceleration Issues

dayhandler7

Reaction score
City, State
Acton, Massachusetts
Hey everyone,
I was test driving a 2003 Eddie Bauer with the V8 4.6L engine. There is only 76K miles on the odometer and seems to be in relatively decent condition. However, when I went to accelerate from a dead stop it seemed to rise pretty slow. Im not sure if this is a sign of tranny issues to come or not. It is a nice truck and priced quite fairly but I am not sure if I'd be buying a problem truck. Any thoughts/ people who have experienced similar issues?

Thanks!
Nick

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

define slow acceleration. more details will help with a potential diagnosis.

It's supposed to have 240 hp... my '02 XLT 4.6L will get up and go pretty quick. 76K isn't too early for the "usual suspects" to need replacing (fuel filter, O2 sensors, plugs, wires (not sure if you've got coil-over-plugs). Can you find out maintenance/use history? Having a good mechanic check it out before you buy might be a good idea.
If you suspect the transmissison, check to see if the fluid is very black/burnt smell. That would be bad.

When i say slow acceleration, to me it seems that the truck doesn't move from a dead stop too quickly. It takes sometime to get moving, I have never owned an explorer before so maybe I am just not used to it yet. I plan on bringing the truck to a Goodyear nearby and have them go through their whole inspection. It seems like a nice truck and has the kind of engine I would need. The seller does not have a carfax or anything like that, he doesn't seem to know too much about cars at all.

my truck just kinda dilly dallys up to speed if i use very little pedle to drive it, give this thing some love and see what happens..

I'd just go borrow a friend/acqaintance's Explorer (V8), or go to a used car lot and test drive a couple to see how they feel. If you put the peddle to the metal you might burn some rubber.

Back