Accidently hot-wired my explorer last night | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Accidently hot-wired my explorer last night

King$nake

Reaction score
City, State
Oceanside, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Eddie Bauer 5.0
I was replacing my radio antenna last night, and one of the wire harnesses that goes through the firewall underneath the glovebox - it was in the way, so I decided to cut it. I thought it was just wiring for the power antenna module (which I replaced with a non-power unit).

Anyways, i go to cut the wires, and my truck starts. I stopped cutting and never cut through all the way. I guess the metal to metal contact or something?

anyone know what happened?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

:D It does ground to the starter relay,and the engine will crank, but it will not start. Unless the key is already in the on position. Been there.

Ya, it just cranked and didn't start. interesting lol

Yeah, never did figure out how to install the aftermarket antenna either-:(I ended up installing a rigid one and going on to other things.

Yeah, never did figure out how to install the aftermarket antenna either-:(I ended up installing a rigid one and going on to other things.

ya, just so you know - it was a huge pain in the ass - but in hindsight, it should not have been.

Basically my stock power antenna stopped working, so I took the fender liner out and removed it.

The second antenna - I made the mistake of cutting the cord and trying to splice it. I did not realize it was a coaxial type connection. So I got a second antenna - this one didn't fit, so I took it back for a third one - that didnt fit - I finally went back and bought the original antenna, but this time did not cut the cord. I ran it through the firewall into the back of the receiver. Works fine now, but its a thick rubber antenna and looks awful (one reason I didnt buy it the second time initially) but its the only one that mounts properly.

What sucks is I had to slice the rubber grommet that seals in the firewall to get the antenna cord through. Now I have a 1" hole with wires running through it lol.

After 4 days of this crap, and cut up hands - my radio finally works again.

explorers are great as long as you have mechanical skills LOL. I've replaced nearly everything on my 98 eddie aside from the body, interior and engine itself.

I was replacing my radio antenna last night, and one of the wire harnesses that goes through the firewall underneath the glovebox - it was in the way, so I decided to cut it. I thought it was just wiring for the power antenna module (which I replaced with a non-power unit).

Anyways, i go to cut the wires, and my truck starts. I stopped cutting and never cut through all the way. I guess the metal to metal contact or something?

anyone know what happened?

what color is the wire? under the glove box? Would that wire work for a push button start?

Back