Active Grille Shutter Assembly Repair/Replacement 2016 Explorer | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Active Grille Shutter Assembly Repair/Replacement 2016 Explorer

Thanks! I'll have my husband check the fuse. I haven't tried to physically open them. I can try that as well.

It’s been awhile since the OP has been on here...any update?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2016 Explorer XLT with 59,900 miles. I've had several issues with this vehicles beginning at 12,000 miles. The latest issue is the vehicle would show an alert that the "Engine Coolant Is Over Temperature". This happens mostly when the vehicle is traveling over 50+ mph with the a/c on. When the alert pops up, the a/c stops and the fan just blows outside air in the cabin.

I took it to my dealership, the diagnosis was the grille shutter assembly is stuck in the closed position and would need to be replaced. This part is not covered by Ford's Powertrain warranty (even though it could cause the engine to overheat). Total cost to repair: $1400!!!

Is there a fuse that could be blown that would cause this part to malfunction? There's got to be a more cost efficient way to repair this.

Please help!
Recently the active grille shutter motor failed without warning an caused $2,800.00 in damage and is not covered by our extended warranty. Only 47,000 miles on the vehicle. Is this a common part to fail and if so why?

Only recall 1 other person having it f ail. How did it cause $2,800?

Recently the active grille shutter motor failed without warning an caused $2,800.00 in damage and is not covered by our extended warranty. Only 47,000 miles on the vehicle. Is this a common part to fail and if so why?

I have merged your thread with the other thread on this issue using the search function on the top right.

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Like blwnsmoke, I also curious as to what the damage was.

Peter

I took my 2016 Explorer in because it felt like the transmission was slipping (20k miles on the vehicle). I was thinking this should be covered under the power train warranty. I get a call saying that the active grill shutter is broken and has to be replaced before they can tell me if there is anything else wrong with my transmission. At a cost of $945 plus tax. I don't see how this would not be covered under warranty and after seeing many people with this issue maybe even a recall for the affected vehicles. I am escalating at Ford to get resolution.

I took my 2016 Explorer in because it felt like the transmission was slipping (20k miles on the vehicle). I was thinking this should be covered under the power train warranty. I get a call saying that the active grill shutter is broken and has to be replaced before they can tell me if there is anything else wrong with my transmission. At a cost of $945 plus tax. I don't see how this would not be covered under warranty and after seeing many people with this issue maybe even a recall for the affected vehicles. I am escalating at Ford to get resolution.
I don't believe the Active Grille Shutters are covered under the Powertrain. Failure of this feature isn't really a common problem going by this Forum. You are only the 3rd member with an issue, albeit an expensive one. "Broken" is kind of a non-specific term. Did they say what the actual problem with them is?

Peter

I don't believe the Active Grille Shutters are covered under the Powertrain. Failure of this feature isn't really a common problem going by this Forum. You are only the 3rd member with an issue, albeit an expensive one. "Broken" is kind of a non-specific term. Did they say what the actual problem with them is?

Peter
They are saying it isn't but I will fight this all the way! The funny thing is I tried to get more details on it. I have read in other forums that it could be a fuse, stuck open, etc. I asked the service person if it was either of those and she told me no. It is just broken, you can see it thru the grill. I don't get how it can break like that and why do I have no lights coming up on my dash letting me know there is a problem. I originally took my vehicle in to get the hood replaced (rusting and bubbling) which they did with no problem and no charge. Not sure if they could have broken the grille shutters when replacing the hood.

Hello Explorer people! New guy here and hope to find a solution.

2016 Explorer XLT 3.5

Started to overheat this past weekend. Typically the heat guage runs about a third the way up between cold and hot. After this weekend, it started getting HOT. After internetting and googling I discovered these have Active Grille Shutters. Well, my shutters are shuttering. They are closed and do not seem to be opening on start up or any other time. No test cycle, as I have read they do at start up, nothing. No warning lights or messages on the dash, nothing.

I propped the shuttters open and it doesn't overheat anymore, but it is running warmer than it used to, about half way between cold and hot.

I ran the "test mode in start up" it says my coolant temperature is 92c. (188.6f)

Something is going on and I know I can't keep the shutters propped open indefinitely, so if anyone can help. I would be grateful.

Welcome to the Forum Lamar. :wave:
I have moved your thread to this one on the same issue. Have you checked the fuse as mentioned in post #2?

Peter

It’s been awhile since the OP has been on here...any update?
I am curious about this as well. Mine quite working this past weekend. Currently I have a block of wood propping them open so I don't overheat.

Can the motor be replace or do you need the entire shutter assembly?

Welcome to the Forum Lamar. :wave:
I have moved your thread to this one on the same issue. Have you checked the fuse as mentioned in post #2?

Peter
Yes, it is the same fuse as the AC clutch and something else I can't remember.

I pulled the front bumper and grille off to see what was going on.

After removing the shutter assembly, I removed the motor that operates the shutters. The shutter that the motor connects to, has a splined pin that fits inside the motor. It had sheared off of the shutter, so the motor was working, just not doing anything.

I am leaving the shutter assembly off and reinstalling the bumper and grill.

Here is the culprit.

Attachments

• 1020.jpg
    1020.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 229

I have a 2016 Explorer XLT with 59,900 miles. I've had several issues with this vehicles beginning at 12,000 miles. The latest issue is the vehicle would show an alert that the "Engine Coolant Is Over Temperature". This happens mostly when the vehicle is traveling over 50+ mph with the a/c on. When the alert pops up, the a/c stops and the fan just blows outside air in the cabin.

I took it to my dealership, the diagnosis was the grille shutter assembly is stuck in the closed position and would need to be replaced. This part is not covered by Ford's Powertrain warranty (even though it could cause the engine to overheat). Total cost to repair: $1400!!!

Is there a fuse that could be blown that would cause this part to malfunction? There's got to be a more cost efficient way to repair this.

Please help!
2016 Ford Explorer Limited 6 cyl. Just got back from Ford dealer...need a water pump replacement. In the meantime, the service advisor said I also have another issue with the grille shutter (which isn't covered by the warranty). In talking with the mechanic, he said in California, you really don't need this part. So I asked him if he can make it stay fixed in the open position, and he said it was a simple fix, and would not activate any error codes. I saved over 1,000 doing this!

2016 Ford Explorer Limited 6 cyl. Just got back from Ford dealer...need a water pump replacement. In the meantime, the service advisor said I also have another issue with the grille shutter (which isn't covered by the warranty). In talking with the mechanic, he said in California, you really don't need this part. So I asked him if he can make it stay fixed in the open position, and he said it was a simple fix, and would not activate any error codes. I saved over 1,000 doing this!
As long as they are changing the water pump, it may be worth checking/changing the timing chain as well.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am currently having the same problem with my 2016 explorer. I live in Canada and I have heard more people in the last month tell me about this recurring problem. My quote to fix this is $1000 plus labor at 3.5 hours. Holy smokes. Does anyone know if there is a warranty on the new assembly.

Back