Added Magnaflow today to my 3.5 V6 Limited | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Added Magnaflow today to my 3.5 V6 Limited

baddceo

Reaction score
City, State
OP, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer LIM 4WD
Sounds like it should now. For those looking for an in cabin recording, i can probably pull something together but it's minimal at best and with my radio on low for back ground you can barely hear the exhaust. What I can feel in my butt and through gas pedal is more noticeable than any extra noise and I don't more HP I mean the vibration of the extra sound under the cabin.

Yet to determine anything else. Looks great from the rear. I am working on a set of 22x10.5's with a 285/35 going in next week for a test fit. Subtle 5 spoke design which is what I want but looking for a noticeable concave which is why I am trying to squeeze the 10.5 in without too much poke.

This is the look I am going for. http://www.carid.com/ford-explorer-accessories/

They have removed the plastic wheel well trim / fender trim from this Ex and I really like the clean lines. I haven't gotten into what that involves yet but seriously think Ford missed the design class on the plastic fender well trim they use. I don't get it and don't think it should be there.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Somebody already did that 5 spoke look;)

Attachments

• 10-16F5A783-1290232-800.jpg
    10-16F5A783-1290232-800.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 581
  • 11-B260C012-1258928-800.jpg
    11-B260C012-1258928-800.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 580

I am working on a set of 22x10.5's with a 285/35 going in next week for a test fit. Subtle 5 spoke design which is what I want but looking for a noticeable concave which is why I am trying to squeeze the 10.5 in without too much poke.

This is the look I am going for. http://www.carid.com/ford-explorer-accessories/

They have removed the plastic wheel well trim / fender trim from this Ex and I really like the clean lines. I haven't gotten into what that involves yet but seriously think Ford missed the design class on the plastic fender well trim they use. I don't get it and don't think it should be there.

This vehicle becomes sexy with a bit of poke, so don't be shy! put on some big boy shoes and show it off! One thing I have noticed is that 22's look weird at stock ride height, if I were to upsize, I would definitely lower it, especially if that carid Explorer is your inspiration. Also keep in mind, it will make your rotors and brakes look really small with big 5 spoke wheels.

Somebody already did that 5 spoke look;)

Yes about 40 years ago. The 5 spoke look started in the late 60's early 70's called Cragars, glad to see some old school rims again.

Springs lower too much for my tastes on this truck. Id probably go with a coil over if there were one out there. Negative camber of any kind on a 285 is going to wear poorly. Trying to get the best of everything without the compromise. We will see.

Im hoping that the wider stance with about 1/2" poke is going to have the same effect of appearing lowered. More to come.

We are working on a coil over kit with Megan Racing. Stay tuned :)

Im hoping that the wider stance with about 1/2" poke is going to have the same effect of appearing lowered. More to come.

Wheels alone will never make your ride appear lowered, poke or no poke. By going with a 22" rim you are already compromising the vehicles capabilities, making it delicate to leave the tarmac. This is why I'm sticking with 20's on stock height, with just a wider stance. All the capabilities are maintained and the look is improved: As seen here, I have about 1/2" poke and it does not appear lowered.

photo13.jpg

If going with 22's I would definitely also lower as bstollmeier did. This is the best looking Explorer out there IMO.

IMG_4533.jpg

Compromising the vehicles capabilities is mostly an opinion based on where it's driven.

In fact I am probably increasing the vehicles capabilities on dry/wet pavement by increasing the footprint. But reducing the ride quality because of the shorter aspect.

Lowering the vehicle will lower it's center of gravity and while that is an improvement for handling its a compromise in ride.

Now if I were to try to climb a mountain which i don't think this vehicle could do stock, then I am sure a set of 22's is not the best idea. This is why I keep the stock rims for winter use and the up size rims for spring/summer use.

In my opinion, pulling a wheel further out to the fender gives the illusion of a more filled fender well, just as yours looks to me. Once I see how they look I can make the decision on which way to go.

No plans to lower at the moment and certainly not with bars, this vehicle lowered or not is bottom heavy with the bars/steps on it...

Quicksilver thank you for the heads up, i'll keep my eyes open for the coil over out come.

Back