Adding 2011-2016 style ambient lighting to a 3rd gen | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adding 2011-2016 style ambient lighting to a 3rd gen

20mountaineer02z

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Mercury Mountaineer
I drive an 02 mountaineer, and amoung other cars my dad has a 2013 limited explorer. One thing he and I both love about the 2013 in the multicolor ambient lighting inside.

I'm looking to add something similar in my 2002, I found a 7 color kit on Amazon pretty cheap, and was thinking about how to wire it

My amp for my sub has a remote on off connected to one of the "unused" fuses. I plan to use another one of these for the power for the lights, but I was wondering if any one had done something like this and/or if any one had any good ideas to add a dimmer to it

Also any ideas on how to wire them to only come on with the head lights? I have the automatic lights and it would be awesome if I had interior lights that came on with them

Led ambient lighting is relatively a low draw item, you could easily wire it to a 12 volt constant like your cigarette lighter or radio circuit.

as for having it come on with your headlights your best bet is to just tap into the headlight harness and install a relay so your ambient lighting is powered by an interior circuit and controlled by your headlight circuit.

as far as a dimmer goes it wouldn't be hard to install if the lights come with a "controller" for a color changing functionality you would just have to put a pot, or variable resistor, on the output of the controller

if you linked the set you are going to purchase that would be great

I did something like this to a Lexus IS300 that I just sold to buy my Limited. I planned on doing this to the exploder as well and I will do a write up on it. Its fairly easy depending on how much light you want. I had one led in the door handle pocket and two leds in the storage pocket on the driver and passenger door as well. Drilled holes so that the light shined down, and put resistors so that they were pretty dim to the point that it was just a warm light only visible at night. They were always on when the key was in acc or running as it was a rough first attempt. I will wire them in the exploder so that they only turn on when at least the park lights are on. I will hopefully tackle this in a week or two..

I have installed the same kit, although I just used a mini fuse tap (a small metal tab, purchased a bag of ten) onto one of the fuses under the dash. I believe I sourced a ground off of a metal section above the driver's footwell. I have mine wired like RobotWrench, on with RUN/ACC. I like the ideas of dimming, as the lighting does affect visibility out of the passenger window when it is rolled up. If it's the same kit I have, be advised it comes hardwired, all the light bars are home runs, so each one would need modifications unless you opened the controller.

Back