• Register Today It's free!

adding a third row seat

Dlbutterfield

Reaction score
City, State
Tacoma,Wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
Has anyone added a third row seating to their first generation Ex? I am playing with the idea of doing it. Does anyone have any suggestions? The reason I want to do this is to add a row of seats that I can put car seats on so I can have the bench seat in back for adults when we go on a trip. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
David

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As a matter of fact I recently saw a 1993 Explorer XLT with 3rd row seating and the fabric used matched the original cloth interior of that car. He was the original owner, but I never asked him who did the job.

Now his 3rd row seating was a smaller bench seat compared to todays Explorers. The seat was intended for little kids to sit in and the seat faced rearward, meaning if a child sat in it, he would be facing the rear window. I believe he said he paid $300.00 for it. He had 5 kids and wanted the extra seat with seatbelts. You might be able to call an interior shop and asks questions. If the seat is a normal seat, the average person could not sit in it without hitting their heads on the headliner.

d-1

Dlbutterfield said:
Has anyone added a third row seating to their first generation Ex? I am playing with the idea of doing it. Does anyone have any suggestions? The reason I want to do this is to add a row of seats that I can put car seats on so I can have the bench seat in back for adults when we go on a trip. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
David

Hey you beat me to the punch, a picture tells a thousand words. If you have kids (4-5) it's a good investment, but to the average person it's not. The new Explorers were designed to accomadate a passengers feet and leg area, whereas the 1st generation did not.

d-1

*****inexplorer said:
im not sure if you know about this but http://www.explorerexpress.com/catalog/pages/seating.html look at the first product. ive thought about this but i really have no reason to do it.

Not that I want one or anything, but why does it stop at the 00 model? I see a lot of products that don't list my 01 and yet (as far as I know) they are the same.

You make a great point. I have owned 3 Explorers, one of them had leather seats. Well today its hard to find the replacment Leather for 91 - 94 (exact match) for it, because they don't make them anymore. At least that's what someone told me. He said in 92-95 they had a lot of it around, but I presume this was for people that wanted to convert their seats from cloth to leather. But his point was, it takes about 10 years for the leather to show its age, why wouldn't they produce more of it now, insted of then, when newer cars did not need it. Now you have some people who are trying to restore the SUV's, but it's hard to get an exact match on the hole patterns of the leather seats.

d-1

Brian_B said:
Not that I want one or anything, but why does it stop at the 00 model? I see a lot of products that don't list my 01 and yet (as far as I know) they are the same.

Thank you

Thank you for the responses. The seat would be for the kids, so height isn't a factor. Thank you for the link and the idea about calling a shop. I will have to do some looking around.
David

Performance Products also sells the third seat for the 1st gen Explorer. Yes, it is a rear-facing kid-size seat.

Bob

Back